Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Game Development In D

Started by jdehaan Aug 16, 2012 at 4:10 AM 1 replies 2.6k views
Original Post
jdehaan
jdehaan
Hey guys!

I recently stumbled upon the D language, and I really liked what I saw. I plan on learning the language for fun, but I was curious to see if there are any people out there making games with this spiffy language! Or perhaps just using it in general? I feel like the D language really has a lot of potential and wanted to know what others thought.
Aldacron
Aldacron
Yes, there are plenty of people using it for games (such as the Minecraft clients Charged Miners and BraLa) and other types of software. There are bindings to a number of C libraries, like Derelict 3 (my own collection of bindings to game-oriented libs like OpenGL, SDL2, and more) and the Deimos project (several bindings that aren't game-specific).You can find several D developers, game and otherwise, in the newsgroups (for which there is a web interface that's actually written in D) and in IRC at #d on freenode.

There are also a few professional game developers hanging out on the newsgroups. One of them has been very active in getting D in a state that will make the game industry take notice. For example, DMD now has SIMD intrinsics, while compatibility with the Microsoft linker (and hence the Visual Studio toolchain, a big one for pro game devs) is under development. There's also work in getting D onto mobile platforms via GDC (the GCC D compiler).
kidman171
kidman171
I am currently using D for game programming and so far I have been enjoying it quite a bit!
For a window, I am using Aldacron's Derelict2 bindings for SDL.
For graphics, I updated some old Horde3D bindings to work with Horde3d Beta 5 and I currently use those.

D is a great language and is enjoyable to write, I highly recommend it.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.