Original Post
.
I assume the bad graphics is a result of using a generic game engine.
I am completely a noob.
I really want to create an MMO
So my question is where to start? I really want to create an MMO, judging by some of the really shitty graphics I've seen in other games, I assume the bad graphics is a result of using a generic game engine. I would rather write my own game engine than to waste my time making a game with shit graphics. I want to be very clear about this fact, I want quality over quantity and speed.
Again this OP was not meant to make people angry, I could have just started hacking away trying to make a game engine but I thought I take a slightly smarter approach and see if I could get a bit of taste of the different ways to go about it, perhaps learn from others mistakes(in coding). I am actually very very surprised at such the negative responses I got from people, 3 out of 4 of you were more interested (seemingly) in discouraging me from doing this than supporting of my interest in something you all obviously are interested in. Are these forums not here to promote support of game developers? The only one who gave positive advice was Lance.
I am not put off by the amount of work that is involved in such a process.
See if I set a goal that is at level 10 and you set a goal that is at level 5, even if I can't reach my goal chances are I will still be at a higher level than you are because you have given yourself a limit. I have not. Even if I fully accomplish nothing, I have accomplished more than you.
See if I set a goal that is at level 10 and you set a goal that is at level 5, even if I can't reach my goal chances are I will still be at a higher level than you are because you have given yourself a limit. I have not. Even if I fully accomplish nothing, I have accomplished more than you.[/quote]
If you do not make it to 10, feel free to move it back to a lower number and then move forward again when you feel ready for more. Moving the goal posts and changing your plans is not a bad thing when you work agile
This will be my last post here as I feel the majority of the members here are close minded. I am not saying this to make people angry, it is the truth, many people I talk with IRL simply cannot handle it. The reality that I know to exist and in fact does exist, most believe is nothing but fiction.[/quote]
The skepticism comes from encountering a lot of people with not just similar goals, but similar attitudes (or at least what convey with what you type in text). The problem is, you haven't yet set yourself apart from the others that have the same "go-getter" attitude working towards an MMO so to many people you are one and the same with the others. Coupled with the fact that we know little about you, what can you do to set yourself apart from them, other than saying "unlike others, I will actually get it done"? (because there were probably others that also said "I will actually get it done")
This attitude reminds me of something.. You see in elementary school your teachers tell you, choose goals for yourself, but be careful not to choose goals that are beyond your reach.
IMO this is the worst possible advice you could ever give anyone. This advice tells you to put a limit on what your capable of. I sir do not do such things.
The better advice is this.. choose goals, choose goals that push your capabilties beyond what you currently believe to be possible, for this is the only way impossible things are are ever accomplished.
This will be my last post here as I feel the majority of the members here are close minded. I am not saying this to make people angry, it is the truth, many people I talk with IRL simply cannot handle it. The reality that I know to exist and in fact does exist, most believe is nothing but fiction. This makes them angry for some reason as if they have been cheated out of it. In reality they are simply ignorant. Please do not take offense to this as it is not intended.
This will be my last post here as I feel the majority of the members here are close minded.
So my question is where to start? I really want to create an MMO, judging by some of the really shitty graphics I've seen in other games, I assume the bad graphics is a result of using a generic game engine.
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
With your permission, GameDev.net uses analytics cookies to understand how people use the platform. You can accept analytics or continue with necessary cookies only. Learn more