Original Post
I have several questions concerning resolution.
The first thing I'm wondering is, if I allow users of a game to change resolution, by how much do I scale the different sprites/logos/HUD? Is there some sort of formula to this?
Second, let's say I want my game to be crisp/clear in 1080p resolution. How do I create art assets for this resolution? Someone suggested to me that I open up adobe photoshop, create a new document that is 1080p in height. I find that strange, because why would you draw a small character sprite in such a huge window?
If I end up using a virtual resolution, at what point do I scale objects? It seems to me that if I'm drawing everything to a virtual 1280x1024 resolution, but when it is actually displayed on the user set resolution, let's say 800x600, the scaling would have to be done each and every call to a draw which is alot, and would slow things down immensely.
The first thing I'm wondering is, if I allow users of a game to change resolution, by how much do I scale the different sprites/logos/HUD? Is there some sort of formula to this?
Second, let's say I want my game to be crisp/clear in 1080p resolution. How do I create art assets for this resolution? Someone suggested to me that I open up adobe photoshop, create a new document that is 1080p in height. I find that strange, because why would you draw a small character sprite in such a huge window?
If I end up using a virtual resolution, at what point do I scale objects? It seems to me that if I'm drawing everything to a virtual 1280x1024 resolution, but when it is actually displayed on the user set resolution, let's say 800x600, the scaling would have to be done each and every call to a draw which is alot, and would slow things down immensely.