Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

finshed breakout game

Started by phil67rpg Mar 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM 28 replies 7.5k views
Original Post
phil67rpg
phil67rpg

well here is my game let me know if there are any bugs and what you think of it and any extras I can include.

Tasche
Tasche

running the risk of d/ling a virus i wanted to be a nice guy and test your game.

however, you compiled it with the .NET debug dll, the standard .NET runtimes don't include these. recompile with release settings and try again.

phil67rpg
phil67rpg

well I compiled this is in release mode, I hope this works

phil67rpg
phil67rpg

sorry here is the link

minibutmany
minibutmany

glut32.dll is missing it said? Is this a problem with my computer?

Stay gold, Pony Boy.
Manhattanisgr8
Manhattanisgr8

Said the same thing on my computer

Cpl Alt, Travis A USMC
ultramailman
ultramailman

I have no experience with glut, but that probably means phil should include glut32.dll in the same folder as the executable (if it is allowed).

phil67rpg
phil67rpg

I put in the glut32.dll let me know if you need any other files

Pufixas
Pufixas

I put in the glut32.dll let me know if you need any other files

Nope still doesn't work. "MSVCP110.dll is missing from your computer"

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”? Nigel Marsh
mystb
mystb

Best thing to do... pack your game files and copy them to a computer without visual studio or any dev tools. This way you'll see what's missing.

Best Regards

steffy81
steffy81

It sounds like you are using Microsoft Visual. This has happened to me. I know there is a distribution package you can download. When I downloaded it to my desktop, this solved the problem. However, I tried running my games on my husbands laptop, and even with the distribution package on the disk, it would not work. I did not download it directly to his computer though.

phil67rpg
phil67rpg

well here is the MSVCP110D.dll file

phil67rpg
phil67rpg

sorry again here it the folder with the .dll file

phil67rpg
phil67rpg

well after doing some research this should work let me know if you get any errors

Endurion
Endurion

After all this time you actually completed it, big congrats to you.

Works fine here, however the key controls have the Input type delay. If you're using WM_KEYDOWN/WM_KEYUP to check for this, try using a bool array to remember if a key is pressed/released. In the main loop only check for the bool array (set pressed=true when WM_KEYDOWN, pressed=false when WM_KEYUP). This should get rid of the delay.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes

well after doing some research this should work let me know if you get any errors

could you tell us the solution?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
jbadams
jbadams

Congratulations on the progress!

You might want to add a loss condition to the game -- usually if you miss the ball you lose the game (or lose a life if those are included), but in your version the ball simply bounces off the bottom of the window. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams
EddieV223
EddieV223

When you get ready to release your apps, you need to include the dll's for any libraries you used. ( and linked dynamically, in your case it seems to be glut and maybe glew? ). As well as the microsoft runtime redistributable for your version of visual studio. They must install the run time. You shouldn't copy the visual studio runtime .dlls with your application.

Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 1

phil67rpg
phil67rpg

well I am going to tweak my game a little, thanks for all the help, what should I work on next?

ultramailman
ultramailman

Before you tweak, save a copy of your working game first!

As for what to work on next, you can enhance the breakout game you already have (add graphical effects), or make a clone of a more complex game (tetris, pacman, space shooter games, etc.).

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.