Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Need Advice For Game Engine In Java

Started by GaryTummins Mar 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM 1 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
GaryTummins
GaryTummins

(I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place, so if it is in the wrong forum a moderator can move it if they wish. Thanks.)

Ok, here's a little background:

I am programming Java in school and for my final project I was hoping to make a game in a style similar to Golden Sun. Right now I am probably around an intermediate level in Java programming but I still have quite a lot of time time before I actually have to start this project, so I can learn more in this time. The reason I am posting this right now is because I'd like to be fairly prepared for the task ahead.

Well, my main question is how hard would it be to program a game engine like the one in Golden Sun? I asked my friend who is quite advanced in Java programming and he said it would be fairly difficult because of collisions and the like, but it's always good to have a second opinion.

Thank you in advance, I am extremely grateful for whatever advice and information you can give me.

~Gary

relsoft
relsoft

Tilebased RPGs in general are easy to code but would take a very long time to finish.

Hi.
Glass_Knife
Glass_Knife

http://www.cokeandcode.com/index.html?page=tutorials

The above website has some good tutorials to get you started. But the main thing to realize is that if you have never made a game before, then this project is too big for your first try. Most people (including me) tried to make the next greatest game when trying game programming for the first time, only to realize just how much work it would be. It is better to start with a very simple game and finish it.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.