Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Game Programming Online Courses

Started by 4620039625 Sep 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM 12 replies 8k views
Original Post
4620039625
4620039625

Hey guys!

I've been thinking about enrolling in a game programming course, but college's been keeping me pretty busy, so I need something really flexible, like an online course. I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions and/or reviews based on personal experiences. I've seen a lot of C++/3D courses, but I'm not a big fan of C++, to be honest, and I'm way more into 2D, lol.

Oh, and of course, I'd love it to be free, haha, but I'd be willing to pay, depending on the amount.

Thanks in advance, and have a nice one!

Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper




I've been thinking about enrolling in a game programming course, but college's been keeping me pretty busy

Why don't you wait until college (which has to be your top priority while you're in college) is not keeping you busy?

-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
j-locke
j-locke

Is there a particular reason that you need to be a "game programming course?" It seems like with your schedule, something like a good YouTube playlist or another place with very on-demand teaching would be idea. I don't have any particular ones to recommend but maybe those extra options will help someone else point you to a good resource.

4620039625
4620039625

I've been thinking about enrolling in a game programming course, but college's been keeping me pretty busy

Why don't you wait until college (which has to be your top priority while you're in college) is not keeping you busy?

I can handle both, but one of them must be flexible. College isn't, so I need the course to be, if there's such thing. That's a good question though, but I don't really wanna get into that, if you don't mind.

4620039625
4620039625

Is there a particular reason that you need to be a "game programming course?" It seems like with your schedule, something like a good YouTube playlist or another place with very on-demand teaching would be idea. I don't have any particular ones to recommend but maybe those extra options will help someone else point you to a good resource.

Oh, well, I've been studying on my own for a while, reading books and articles, watching YouTube playlists, etc. I think taking a course would make me commit more and be more responsible about it, maybe motivate me a bit more, if you know what I mean.

Sunda
Sunda

There's a very good course of game programming with HTML5 in Udacity, you must have a basic understanding of Javascript to be able to progress, it's not C or C++ but this should help you getting into game dev.

https://www.udacity.com/course/cs255

danko56
danko56

There's a c# game dev course that's new on coursera. If I'm not mistaken it is the first time it's been up so I cannot really tell you if it's good or not. However, based on past and current experiences with coursera I'd say it'll be quite nice. I'm giving it a try and maybe you might want to as well. https://www.coursera.org/course/gameprogramming

Stani R
Stani R

There's a c# game dev course that's new on coursera.

Was just about to mention Coursera smile.png They have some video game-related courses but now there's even a game programming course, pretty cool stuff.

Edit: there's another one too, about making games in Python - https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython

Satharis
Satharis

There's a very good course of game programming with HTML5 in Udacity, you must have a basic understanding of Javascript to be able to progress, it's not C or C++ but this should help you getting into game dev.

https://www.udacity.com/course/cs255

To be honest I looked into the videos after you linked them and found them depressingly lacking. The videos are good quality but the way they teach is just awful, they barely actually give you any information in little 30 second video segments then expect you to essentially teach yourself just to write in code on a page editor that quite often fails for a variety of reasons.

Not supporting firefox and only chrome is also completely stupid.
danko56
danko56

There's a c# game dev course that's new on coursera.

Was just about to mention Coursera smile.png They have some video game-related courses but now there's even a game programming course, pretty cool stuff.

Edit: there's another one too, about making games in Python - https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython

Yep, I took that course too and I highly recommend it. Very useful for beginner programmers.

ravenking99
ravenking99

Even though you might not be interested in this course I am suggesting, because I enrolled in this coursera course Beginning Game Programming with C# (begins September 16, 2013) and I want to know if anyone else is taking this course?

https://www.coursera.org/course/gameprogramming

For 2D gaming course I highly recommend this one from Rice begins October 7. https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython

booomji
booomji
Hello,
I feel gameinstitute has the informal-formal structure you are looking for.

www.gameinstitute.com

b

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.