Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What is your development environment?

Started by Boder Aug 30, 2014 at 11:10 PM 17 replies 3.8k views
Original Post
Boder
Boder

I wanted to take the pulse of the different tools people are using for their projects. I've tried quite a few languages, libraries, and IDEs so I just want to see what is currently working for people (and what isn't).

If you could, post:

1. Your OS

2. Target OS/Device

3. Language and IDE (or name of editor/compiler)

4. Libraries/Packages/Whatev you call 'em

5. Type of project (game/tool/2D/3D/team project/solo/free/pay)

6. Most importantly, what you don't like about the setup and also some of the highlights

Thanks all.

I have Windows 8 now and I'm going to be setting up some development tools. I've used many, many C/C++ IDEs, Java to a lesser extent, I only really checked out what was possible with Python and C#.

Anyone using C# with OpenGL or is that unheard of? How about Java and OpenGL? C# and SDL? Is C# still only for Windows builds?

Jason Z
Jason Z

1. Win7

2. Win7+

3. C++11 and Visual Studio 2012

4. DirectXTK and Lua

5. Rendering Framework

6. Nothing - I am content with the tools that I am using, which is why I chose them :P

I am using Direct3D 11, so my use case may not be what you are looking for. But anyways, the entire tool chain is free, so it is at least an option for beginners or indies.

Jason Zink :: DirectX MVP   Direct3D 11 engine on CodePlex: Hieroglyph 3 Direct3D Books: 
alvaro
alvaro
1. Mac OS X.
2. Mac OS X initially, but I am keeping an eye on portability.
3. Language: C++. Editor: Emacs. Compiler: LLVM.
4. SFML.
5. 2D platformer developed in my scarce spare time, together with a couple of friends with similarly loose commitment.
6. Nothing - I am content with the tools that I am using, which is why I chose them. tongue.png
Boder
Boder
Álvaro,

Have you tried using IDEs and found them not to your liking? Or are you just a purist who come hell or high water will still be bumping uglies with the machine/power tools?

alvaro
alvaro

Álvaro,
Have you tried using IDEs and found them not to your liking? Or are you just a purist who come hell or high water will still be bumping uglies with the machine/power tools?


I used Borland IDEs in the 90s and they were OK. The current IDEs seem way too complicated to me and I refuse to learn them because I don't see the point. But the real reason why I use Emacs and a command-line compiler is that it's what we do at work, so I am used to it. For what I've seen, Visual C++ seems very good, but I am not a Windows guy.
TheChubu
TheChubu

1. Linux, specifically Debian 8 (also called Debian Jessie or Testing, depending on who you ask).

2. Also Debian, or simply put, whatever runs on my netbook too.

3. Java, Eclipse 4.4, and JEdit for GLSL (with GLSL syntax highlighting).

4. OpenGL 3.3 + few extensions. LWJGL (Java OpenGL bindings). SnakeYAML. HPPC (primitive collections among other things). Tiny pieces of LibGDX (few math functions that I haven't implemented myself and in the future I will be using its Bullet bindings). Oh, and dustArtemis obviously :P (entity system component framework, look at my sig).

5. Not sure yet. 3D first person game I guess. Solo.

6. Eclipse is a bit slow here and there, and I can't create branches with MercurialEclipse plugin (I do that stuff through bitbucket's site).Off the top of my head, those are all complaints I have. I'm pretty happy with my setup so far.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"   My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and 
Servant of the Lord
Servant of the Lord

1. Windows 7 32bit
2. Windows (and later Mac and Linux)
3. C++, MinGW, and QtCreator
4. SFML, Qt, Boost. I haven't yet decided whether to go with Lua or AngelScript for scripting.
5. 2D turn-based para-historical fantasy RPG, and the world editor used to make it.
6. QtCreator is very nice and works very well for me, and I like MinGW - it stays up to date with adding most of the latest C++ features. My biggest complaint is compile times (a flaw of C++), and the poor quality debugging tools. As a Windows user running Linux programming tools, I feel like a second-class citizen to both Microsoft and to the Linux crowd. The MinGW's gdb works but imperfectly, and I've never been able to get breaks on thrown exceptions (only 'caught' ones, but breaking on catches does me little good!), no good stacktracing integration into my own code, Valgrind isn't on windows, and so on.

Sponji
Sponji
1. Arch Linux
2. Linux, Mac, Windows
3. C++(11), KDevelop
4. SDL2, OpenGL, GLEW, GLM
5. Currently learning some more rendering stuff, so I'd say a rendering framework is what I'm working on right now.
6. KDevelop used to have few silly crashes, but seems like those are fixed in the newest version. I went through all kinds of editors before KDevelop and found that this is the most suitable for me. QtCreator would probably be my second choice.
Derp
Ohforf sake
Ohforf sake
It's interesting to see so many non-windows users.

For my private (learning) projects
1. Linux
2. Just for myself, so linux
3. Mostly C++, some GLSL, and Cuda. Compiler is GCC, IDE is codeblocks, version control is GIT (if needed)
4. Depends heavily on the project, but these are the most common: OpenGL, Boost, wxWidgets, TinyXML, ImageMagick, Cuda
5. Various private learning projects; Solo; Usually s.th. with computer graphics or computer vision in it
6. Servant is quite right about the debugging tools. It is probably not so much a problem of GDB, but rather of the frontends for it. IMO, the debugger(frontends) in Visual Studio and xCode are significantly better. Also, the tools for the debugging and profiling of GPU stuff is not even close to what you have on the consoles.

Btw @Servant: For breaking on thrown exceptions you need a "catchpoint", not a "breakpoint". See for example http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/gdb/gdb_31.html
Bregma
Bregma

1. Ubuntu
2. Ubuntu (desktop/laptop/tablet/phone/convertibles)
3. vim, g++, python, shell
4. many and various
5. a free OS shell that uses whizzbang eye candy, and supporting applications that run on it
6. "read the code" is not documentation, arrogance is not a design pattern, NIH is not a recipe for success

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer
Bregma
Bregma




gdb works but imperfectly, and I've never been able to get breaks on thrown exceptions

Does "catch throw" not work on MinGW?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer
Abster
Abster

1. WIndows 7

2. Windows/Mac/Linux, Sony/Nintendo

3. C++ / Visual Studio 2013

4. SDL 2.0/OpenGL

5. HD 2d platformer/shooter

6. There's a ton of features I don't quite understand in regards to debugging, meaning I end up always closing my game and recompiling it each time I want to test something. It's probably due to inexperience more than anything else.

Buckeye
Buckeye

1. Windows 7

2. Windows 7

3. VS2013 Express for Desktop, C++

4. Win8.1 SDK, DirectX SDK (June 2010), DXTK, AntTweakBar, GPUPerfClient/Server for shader debugging if needed, DXTex, DDSView

5. game/2D/3D/solo - DX9, DX11

6. ---

Don't like: VS2013 Express crashes when closed, auto-restarts and has to be closed again. It's free, so..

Like: Intellisense, debugging interface

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly. You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.
ngoaho91
ngoaho91

1. Windows 7

2. Windows 7+

3. C++, Visual Studio 2012 express, Notepad++, and hundred of small tools

4. OpenGL, OpenFramework, Qt, and hundred of small libs

5. game/2D/3D/solo/free

6. VS 2012 has high requirement but syntax highlighting is nice. It's user interface save my eyes also.

Qt could be perfect tool if it can import general c++ project from visual studio. Anyway, Qt is nice tool too.

tonemgub
tonemgub

1. Windows 7

2. Flat Assembler :)

3. DirectX SDK

ongamex92
ongamex92

1. Windows 7/8

2. Windows 7+. Windows Phone 8.1 + eventually linux?/macos + Iphone/android

3. C++ ICL/CL

4. d3d11, gles/gl4+. And tools Visual Studio/CMake

5. rendering framework

6. I love my tools.

godmodder
godmodder

1. Windows 8.1

2. Primarily windows machines, but I don't do anything to break Mac/Linux

3. C++ / Visual studio 2013 Ultimate

4. Boost / Qt / OpenGL / GLEW / GLFW / ...

5. Graphics research code for my PhD and 3D engines as a hobby

6. Visual Studio can be slow sometimes, but it's a price I gladly pay for its convenience.

lwm
lwm

Game projects (Hobby):

1. Windows 8

2. Windows Vista+

3. C# (VS2013)

4. SharpDX, various others for specific things

5. 3D multiplayer shooter and a thousand others over the last couple of years.

Work:

1. Linux / Windows 7

2. Linux / Windows 7

3. C++11 (Eclipse), C# (VS2013)

5. A tiny piece of the software right above the hardware drivers for a very big, very expensive piece of medical technology.

I really like C++, especially C++11. But for hobby projects, that don't require that last percent of performance (or hard real-time), programming C# in Visual Studio is so much quicker and less painful.

current project: Roa
Servant of the Lord
Servant of the Lord
gdb works but imperfectly, and I've never been able to get breaks on thrown exceptions

Does "catch throw" not work on MinGW?

It supposedly does, but not on whatever builds I've been unfortunate enough to use. Maybe it's just the Qt's GUI interface to GBD that's buggy though, I'm not sure.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.