Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What if game engines were cars?

Started by imaginauteur Dec 1, 2014 at 4:53 PM 10 replies 3.4k views
Gian-Reto
Gian-Reto

Not saying it is not interesting, but how about going more into detail about why you came to your conclusions?

That might have been done to death, IDK, but still, if you come up with such comparisons it would be good if you could translate your analogies into "cleartext", so to speak, for all the guys that know nothing about some or all of these engines.

Having tried to use the Cryengine editor I think I know what you mean with "uncomfortable seats"... still, would have been more interesting to also get access to the underlying comparison process and expierience that made it possible for you to come up with the car analogy.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Cygon
Cygon

Haha, love these kinds of comparisons :)

I would have taken proprietary engines from another angle, since they're so often tailored to a very specific usage. Like, a car with a single seat only fitting a specific driver who is expected to stick his feet through a hole into the engine compartment where he can direct the front wheels and control the fuel/air mixture with his toes to accelerate or slow down. Needs a picture of a tuned old french budget car :D

Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
samoth
samoth

I liked the part where you feel inferior with your European car when others show up with their Mercedes (i.e. Daimler-Benz). laugh.png

RLS0812
RLS0812

I see OP is a "free information" hippie .

Putting the "proprietary engines" in there just ruins the whole article - turns it too "political" .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_

I see OP is a "free information" hippie .
Putting the "proprietary engines" in there just ruins the whole article - turns it too "political" .


Errm.. I think you are off base there...

UE4 != free.
Unity = has free edition but doesn't really give you any information..
CryEngine != free

In this case 'proprietary engine' is simply referring to engines you can't get hold of be it EA's Frostbite or Codemasters' Ego engines.

Perfectly valid term.
No hippyness required.
Krohm
Krohm

Man. This thread is golden.

Previously "Krohm"
Hodgman
Hodgman
Hahahaha pretty spot on.
One thing not said about the Batmobile - ultimately it's a hollywood prop, so even though it looks sexy and as if it's got a jet turbine engine, internally it's a horrible web of wires and ad-hoc welding, with no care about whether anyone in the future wants to change the way it's wired.

@Shippou - uh, no. There's no free software on that list!
'Proprietary engines' is the common name for engines that are private to a company, like Frostbite or Snow Drop. Some of these are amazing, but the public never gets to touch them.
In my time, I've used Mark6, Merkury2, Merkury3/Kadmium and PhyreAnt. Some were crap, some were on par with Unreal, but all were bulldozer-tank-sedans :D
warhound
warhound

Wonder what Havoc would be in that case?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.