Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

i can't uninstall vs 2015 community

Started by Enzo Falone Dec 7, 2015 at 11:28 PM 4 replies 23.8k views
Original Post
Enzo Falone
Enzo Falone

i cant uninstall vs community because i deleted the folder, when i install that it was bad installed, so i deleted to install retry, but, it don't works

Infinisearch
Infinisearch

What OS?

Well the basic thing you can try is:

1.add/remove programs or programs and features

2.scroll down to vs2015 click once on it

3.see what options it gives you (it gave me an option called change)

4.pick best option or only option.

5.you'll have to figure it out from there.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-
WozNZ
WozNZ

I would not really recommend an uninstall of VS. It has so many optional bits and hooks deep into a system that things are never right after you remove it. The system can become unstable due to loads of crap in the registry that gets left behind.

When I install a new VS I leave the previous version in place as they can live side by side or I blow away the OS and reinstall from the ground up.

Given that you ask about the current one I would recommend you re-install then leave it alone.

Probably not what you want to hear but from years of installing dev kits on PCs (VS1 onwards)

Nypyren
Nypyren

i cant uninstall vs community because i deleted the folder, when i install that it was bad installed, so i deleted to install retry, but, it don't works


On Windows, the proper method for uninstalling a program depends on what method you used to install it.

- If you used an installer, you need to use the matching uninstaller.
- If you manually copied or unzipped the files yourself, you can just delete them.

In the case of VS2015, it uses an installer, so you must use its uninstaller. However, Visual Studio is notorious for having an uninstaller that puts other versions of Visual Studio into an inoperable state (this was true from VS2005 to VS2010 anyway. I don't know about 2012, 2013, or 2015 because I stopped uninstalling them after being F***ed over too many times).

If you don't use the appropriate method, you'll leave your computer in a state that can be a huge pain to recover from.
roblane09
roblane09

I've had to download a specific VS installer and run it to uninstall in the past, so if you deleted files on the hard drive this may be what you need to do.

"this feature will ship in version 1.0 for sufficiently large values of 1."
SeanMiddleditch
SeanMiddleditch
Repair the installation from the Add/Remove menu then uninstall it.

Removing the folder causes problems. Changing the drive letter causes problems. Repairing it works; just had to do that myself after swapping out my last spinning harddrives for SSDs.
Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.