Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

When You Have Too Much Money - $1,459 USB Adapter !

Started by RLS0812 Jun 6, 2016 at 5:22 PM 19 replies 6.4k views
Original Post
RLS0812
RLS0812

THIS ADAPTER better have 1oz (28g) of gold in it, or at least real diamonds !

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
ajm113
ajm113

I'm almost certain those simply cost 10-20 USD in East Asia to produce. haha

By Justin .H on January 12, 2015
My Mother has cancer and she is not very mobile. She loves surfing the web and reading things. I figured since every second counts for her she needs top speed. Every last millisecond counts. I don't want her waiting an extra millisecond. I noticed absolutely no difference on latency however when mother would set down to the computer the monitor would glow every color in the visible spectrum. When I disconnected Audioquest diamond no glowing.was present. After taking her to the doctor they confirmed the cancer was gone. I will keep this cable around for when the fast food and beer catch up to me

Oh Amazon comments...

Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
alnite
alnite

It's a USB cable that's capable to detecting what kind of data being transmitted, and apply encryption and compression at the same time. Thanks to the embedded neural network, your data will only get faster and faster overtime. You can control this USB cable, unattach and attach it to a different device from anywhere in the world, all from your mobile phone, because it's also an Internet of Things. You can use all your USB peripherals remotely.

$1500 is a bargain.

frob
frob

Looks like color is the determining factor:

1mbCtNr.png

They must use cheap coffee.

Anthony Serrano
Anthony Serrano

.

I'm speechless ... how - why - who ?!?

It's aimed at hardcore audiophiles - people who eagerly drop enormous amounts of money (i.e. $2700/meter speaker cables, $1500/meter power cables) for vague promises of "improved sound quality" that don't stand up to even the slightest scientific scrutiny and usually don't make even the lease bit of scientific sense.

Luckless
Luckless

Working with good quality cables IS far more enjoyable and less frustrating than working with a lot of the cheap junk that gets pressed out onto the market for as little money and effort as possible. (ie, name brand apple lighting cables, which seem to have an even shorter lifespan in my office than even the old school bar connectors of the original generation. These are surpassed in uselessness and self destructive tendencies only by the knockoff ones, which honestly have probably cost the company several times over what they saved compared to actual apple cables due to people wasting time thinking that 'maybe this time this random thin red cable might actually work...')

That said, that Audio Quest stuff isn't actually all that great from what I've seen. Them and a few other 'super platinum premium' brands ask seemingly 100-1000x what actual acceptable quality gear costs for zero benefit.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
MarkS_
MarkS_

It's aimed at hardcore audiophiles...


Correction: audiofools.
Gian-Reto
Gian-Reto

It's aimed at hardcore audiophiles - people who eagerly drop enormous amounts of money (i.e. $2700/meter speaker cables, $1500/meter power cables) for vague promises of "improved sound quality" that don't stand up to even the slightest scientific scrutiny and usually don't make even the lease bit of scientific sense.

Audiophiles believe that good sound (and their perfect hearing) defies science. They must be among the most superstitios people in the world.

Audio pros will ditch their cinch cable for XLR to reduce the noise that analog cables invariably will catch up. XLR cables are a little bit more expensive than cinch cables, and of course, there are difference in shielding (which CAN matter AFAIK given you lay your XLR cable next to other cables) which might make a difference in price. So you maybe get a better shielded XLR cable and pay twice what you would pay for a cinch cable (which is still peanuts).

Audiophiles will buy a 1000$ cinch cable with gold plating, and magical shielding claiming to achieve better results than XLR with audiophile engineering. Because f*ck listening to science when you can defy it with pure audiophile awesomness.

Tinfoil hat wearers :)

Granted, I guess there will be audiophiles here that are falling into the "sane audiophile" category that might take offense by my broad statement. Yes, paying a premium for a SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN 10% increase in sound quality is not pure superstition, or foolishness, or anything. It might be not the best thing to do with your money, but hey, its your money.

Maybe, just maybe, save some money on the cables... yours 2000$ Speaker will not sound 10x better by being connected with a 10x as expensive cable.

But yeah, if you REALLY don't know what to do with your money, the cables produced by the company in this thread seem like a sweet moneysink.

Khaiy
Khaiy

Damn it, I just bought one of these last week for $1680.99! I should've known the price would go down. Frankly, I thought that $1680.99 was a bit expensive.

     -------R.I.P.-------      Selective Quote ~Too Late - Too Soon~
warhound
warhound

You kidding? Why wouldn't you buy that cable? If you rub it hard enough, the data genie comes out and will grant three of your wishes (subject to terms and conditions)!

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Luckless
Luckless

I would take XLR connectors over RCA or RTS phone jacks for most applications, and TRS Phone jacks over RCA for pretty much any application, simply for their ease of use in most cases and reliability. XLR is a beast of a cable design, especially the shielded/grounded versions. Only thing that could have made them better is a self aligning plug style, but they're also not really that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Daixiwen
Daixiwen
The main difference with XLR contacts is also that it is a differential signal, and it has a lot less noise than RCA. Why we still find high end audio systems with RCA contacts is beyond me.
I love also people that say they get a better sound with a gold/silver plated power cord. If changing the power cord really makes the sound different, the only place your amplifier belongs to is the trash :D
Definition of a man-year: 730 people trying to finish the project before lunch
RLS0812
RLS0812

gold/silver plated power cord.

.

The issue is, gold is not a very good conductor ... only reason it's used so often is the fact it does not oxidize like silver and copper does ... [ LINK ]

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Daixiwen
Daixiwen
That's not the point. Gold is expensive, therefore it should sound good :D
I wonder if anyone is making platinum plated power cords...
Definition of a man-year: 730 people trying to finish the project before lunch
Bacterius
Bacterius

That's not the point. Gold is expensive, therefore it should sound good :D
I wonder if anyone is making platinum plated power cords...

Or just full platinum. It's an electrical conductor, after all.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”
Promit
Promit

The main difference with XLR contacts is also that it is a differential signal, and it has a lot less noise than RCA. Why we still find high end audio systems with RCA contacts is beyond me.
I love also people that say they get a better sound with a gold/silver plated power cord. If changing the power cord really makes the sound different, the only place your amplifier belongs to is the trash :D

You can get XLR systems, but they only come into play once you're dealing with separate systems rather than integrated receivers. This is a Marantz 7701 preamp/surround processor, retail $1,000 or so. It has no amplification of its own. Actually quite moderately priced for this tier of equipment.

c26-MARANTZ-B0092MMXIE-2-l.jpg

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Bearhugger
Bearhugger

That's not the point. Gold is expensive, therefore it should sound good :D
I wonder if anyone is making platinum plated power cords...

Those electrons feel more appreciated if you buy them gold to travel in, and they will return the favor with better sound. Right? At least that's how the underpaid Best Buy clerk with a commission on the stuff he help sell explained it to me.

Sik_the_hedgehog
Sik_the_hedgehog

I suppose another reason why high-end equipment has RCA is that, well, it works with just about everything out there. That's pretty important when for whatever reason you can't go and make your ideal setup.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.