City-building strategy game in development - Ostriv

Started by
17 comments, last by yevheniy 7 years, 1 month ago
It really looks nice! Congratz! Looking forward to it development. Are u working alone? Or you have a team? I mean im making my own game by myself for now, and id like to learn from other developers how are they are handling it because clearly you are on a good road, just like the wagon :p
Advertisement

It could use more color. Maybe wildflowers or random flower beds, flags, and other decorations by the houses? I'd like to see what kind of decorations are popular in ukranian culture. :) The sky also could use some randomized colors, like pink and orange streaks

Yes, you are right. I'm planning on adding some national ornamentation on buildings as well as other small details.

It really looks nice! Congratz! Looking forward to it development. Are u working alone? Or you have a team? I mean im making my own game by myself for now, and id like to learn from other developers how are they are handling it because clearly you are on a good road, just like the wagon :P

Thanks! Yep, I'm working alone as a team :) And what I can tell from my experience, is that the most valuable skill is a good planning of tasks. I managed to increase my productivity by a huge lot when I started planning the good way. At the end of each month I create a list of big task for next month. I set tasks in such an order that no similar task would be consecutive. The main rule is to interchange, so you'll never get stuck. Also I've made a simple script to pleasantly visualize my plan:

plan.jpg

That is very important that you can reward yourself with checking another checkbox when you've finished another task and look back and see how much you've done. I'm attaching my plan.htm to this post.

Then at the end of each working day I pick a few tasks from month list to do tomorrow. It also has to be diverse. Avoid doing something for a whole day. I'm using Windows StickyNotes for day plan. The good thing in it is that it supports pen input, so you can strike finished tasks out by hand, which is also kind of rewarding :)

Added a post reviewing the last three years of the development:

http://ostrivgame.com/three-years-summary/

2016-12-28.jpg

Ostriv development news: Advanced farming and customizable buildings
Talking about some new gameplay decisions and new features added to the game in last couple of weeks

debug3.jpg

Dynamically changing seasons video demo

Hey, guys! Ostriv is now on Steam Greenlight and needs your support! Please cast your vote if you like my game!

ESoyrKp.jpg

Great looking teaser and presentation

You've got my vote! :)

Hi!

I have few pla(i)n questions.

Do you have commercial plans on this?

Do you plan KickStarter or else?

Do you plan other games on this base?

As far as I understand, you went from an unbearable project to this scale. (But you did well and your scale is increasing)

How do you live? Do you work as a programmer?

I am 24 year old myself, live in Kyiv and I am writing a game myself (as everyone here ; ) ).

Hi!

I have few pla(i)n questions.

Do you have commercial plans on this?

Do you plan KickStarter or else?

Do you plan other games on this base?

As far as I understand, you went from an unbearable project to this scale. (But you did well and your scale is increasing)

How do you live? Do you work as a programmer?

I am 24 year old myself, live in Kyiv and I am writing a game myself (as everyone here ; ) ).

1. yes, this won't be a free game

2. no, I don't need money, just time

3. I think I will

4. I live fine and comfortable:) Yes, on my time spare from Ostriv I work on my day-job to pay rent and food:)

5. Good luck with your project

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement