When you feel your game story might be generic.

Started by
3 comments, last by AndrewE96 6 years, 4 months ago

My first game story is one I'm taking a long time to flesh out and build, but one I'm extremely excited to craft. I've been writing actual scenes since the end of September, but gathering ideas since last summer, when I completely revised those ideas from an idea in 2015. Every now and then I get the thought my story, or events, or anything is too generic or conventional. One of my goals is to always find a way to break conventions. My bar is high :D. What do you do in these circumstances? The obvious thing is to just write...and read...and play games :D . Any experiences with breaking this line of pessimistic thinking?

"Don't make a girl a promise....if you know you can't keep it." - Halo 2

"If they came to hear me beg, they would be disappointed." - Halo 2

"Were it so Easy." - Halo 3

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

"One Final Effort is all that remains." - Halo 3

"Brute ships! Staggered line! Ship Master, they outnumber us, three to one!"

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

Advertisement
8 hours ago, Matthew Birdzell said:

Any experiences with breaking this line of pessimistic thinking?

I don't know - think up reasons why it's worthwhile, whether or not it's got "generic/conventional" aspects? When it comes down to it, just about every worthwhile story has generic or conventional aspects to it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

5 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

I don't know - think up reasons why it's worthwhile, whether or not it's got "generic/conventional" aspects? When it comes down to it, just about every worthwhile story has generic or conventional aspects to it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots

Yep thats right. 

I'm working away at it, and one day I hope it will become a AAA title.

"Don't make a girl a promise....if you know you can't keep it." - Halo 2

"If they came to hear me beg, they would be disappointed." - Halo 2

"Were it so Easy." - Halo 3

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

"One Final Effort is all that remains." - Halo 3

"Brute ships! Staggered line! Ship Master, they outnumber us, three to one!"

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

Remember my friend... It doesn't have to be non-generic to be interesting :). For example, Halo is a somewhat generic story, but it's an amazing story!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement