rights to create a game based on someone's show

Started by
6 comments, last by get the f***ing pillow man 6 years, 2 months ago

HEY GUYS! i'm working on a game based on Adventure Time(cartoon show) but recently found out that i need rights to do it. Well, worked pretty much on the sprites, animations backgrounds and all stuff so it'll be just a lot of time spent for nothing. 

And I don't want to give up on the game, I'd really love to finish it and publish for some platforms. 

So may someone help me, what do I gotta do for those rights? How do I publish it legally without breaking any kind of law. Who I need to contact?

thanks.

Advertisement
1 hour ago, get the f***ing pillow man said:

Who I need to contact?

You have to get permission from the owner of Adventure Time.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

17 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

You have to get permission from the owner of Adventure Time.

Good, so I gotta contact Pendleton Ward. But what do I have to ask from him? and is there a possibility that he'll answer? 

1. You have to ask for a license to make a game from his intellectual property. 

2. Anything is possible (except time travel to the past, and the Star Trek holodeck).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

49 minutes ago, get the f***ing pillow man said:

and is there a possibility that he'll answer? 

You can make the game and hope that when it's done, it's so impressive that the owner of Adventure Time lets you publish it. If you never get the rights you can also re-skin the game.

Also there is what Fallout did, originally the game was intended to be a spin-off of Wasteland, instead they ended up doing there own thing and now it's more popular than Wasteland ever was.

3 hours ago, get the f***ing pillow man said:

so I gotta contact Pendleton Ward

Unless he has one hell of a contract, it's somewhat doubtful that the creator himself has the ability to issue rights for derivative works. I'd hazard a guess that either the production company (Cartoon Network), or the broadcaster (Warner Brothers) owns or has an exclusive license to the property...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

thank u guys, contacted Cartoon Network and yea, they only give rights to the ones they request to make a game based on their shows. Anyways, started another project, "Jack's Pumpkin". :)) hope i won't get any problems with these too. 

thank u for getting me informed 'bout all the stuff, now i feel like i'm more into games 

Capture.PNG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement