Making Certain themes accepectable

Started by
57 comments, last by SRich867 5 years, 12 months ago

So I am current writing a script which is trying to paint child soldiers in a better light. For Context:

Children are between 11 and 13 in order to fight. However, in this world, combat training is a option in school, meaning that the from 14 onward, teens are sent to fight, in order to protect the world, and protect back abandoned areas.

How careful should I be when writing the script? I know this is a very sensitive subject for some people.

NOMarfo

Advertisement
4 hours ago, NanaMarfo said:

How careful should I be when writing the script? I know this is a very sensitive subject for some people.

How careful should you be? As careful as you need to be. There have been discussions about games with controversial topics, here in Writing and also in Game Design. Be mindful of the alligators and sinkholes as you enter that swamp. Be prepared to respond meaningfully to criticisms that you have impinged on some audience segment's sensitive areas. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Additionally, consider why you're tackling a sensitive subject. You may have a deep connection with the subject, or you may have strong feelings on the subject. Either way, you're making it personal - which is validating in and of itself. It's probably best to include a mission statement or manifesto somewhere in the game or on the game's site.  Games that address social issues have a rough road ahead, but there are support groups, like for instance G4C, Games For Change. Look it up, check it out. Maybe get in touch with other devs who've entered that particular swamp, see what they went through. 

The problem is I am not really doing this for change. So people would dismiss me as ignorant of the issue.

NOMarfo

8 hours ago, NanaMarfo said:

The problem is I am not really doing this for change. So people would dismiss me as ignorant of the issue.

Why do you want to make a game about a controversial theme if you know you are likely to be attacked for screwing it up? You need to be not ignorant of the issue.

I feel it is an interesting theme to explore/paint in a better light. I do know the problems attached to it, and I want to imagine it a different way.

I want to use this issue so the characters can reflect on their current situations, and in turn, how it affects thems.

NOMarfo

12 hours ago, NanaMarfo said:

So people would dismiss me as ignorant of the issue

Are you ignorant of the issue?

That'd be a thing to fix before writing a script on any topic, let alone a controversial one.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

15 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

Are you ignorant of the issue?

That'd be a thing to fix before writing a script on any topic, let alone a controversial one.

No, I am not. I just believe as a game designer, I should not forces messages about the real world into my games.

NOMarfo

9 minutes ago, NanaMarfo said:

I just believe as a game designer, I should not forces messages about the real world into my games.

That seems somewhat incompatible with the desire to tackle controversial themes :)

Regardless of the artists intent, art containing controversial themes will be seen as having something to say about the real-world issues they relate to.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

23 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

Regardless of the artists intent, art containing controversial themes will be seen as having something to say about the real-world issues they relate to.

I understand that, but I see my stories as a fantasy. Not trying to stick to real life rules or standards. So.. while I understand how and why people are affected, I just want to engage my audience with a story, and characters.

NOMarfo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement