Frogger - challenging entry

Started by
8 comments, last by lawnjelly 5 years, 5 months ago

Here is my first build of my frogger game for the challenge (make sure to download the game rather than assets pack):

After starting early last month I've been put on hold most of this month due to attempting to move house, so I've had to severely cutback the features, but I have managed to pull things together to make something playable. Still lots I'd like to do to improve once I have some more time on my hands.

I spent today putting together 14 or so levels, it should be reasonably challenging, and enough to spend 20 mins or so on, I can complete it.

Let me know if it runs okay, there are Linux64 and Win32 builds. I tried making an Android build with Godot 3.1 Alpha but no luck so far, it crashes on running, maybe I can change some settings in Godot and get it to run.

Also the sound is a bit broken, the 3D listener is broken in Godot 3 currently so I had to bodge some 2D sound until they fix it.

Cursors to move and TAB changes camera view. Incidentally, though the game is usually easier in top down view you can theoretically complete it all in closeup view, if you want a real challenge! :) 

1.jpg.4e656f72b993cbd6d431f9bde2aa8a4d.jpg

Advertisement

I did four runs and got up to level 7. :D Probably not a good idea to play half-asleep! Great work! I really like the mix-ups you've put in and even the dark level with lights. :)

Nice work!

Programmer and 3D Artist

7 minutes ago, Rutin said:

I did four runs and got up to level 7. :D Probably not a good idea to play half-asleep! Great work! I really like the mix-ups you've put in and even the dark level with lights. :)

Nice work!

Thanks Rutin, I was worried slightly that it was even running for other people, you are the first that has tried it! :) I can now complete it each time, takes about 15 mins, but I will put in some more levels. It would be nice to put in difficulty options and game modes like I did with Tower Defence.

5 minutes ago, lawnjelly said:

Thanks Rutin, I was worried slightly that it was even running for other people, you are the first that has tried it! :) I can now complete it each time, takes about 15 mins, but I will put in some more levels. It would be nice to put in difficulty options and game modes like I did with Tower Defence.

I always enjoy your projects. :) I just need to be more alert on my next play through. :D In the evening I'll load it up some more and hopefully beat it. Almost 3am, and I gotta get up in 4 hours. :D 

Programmer and 3D Artist

Looks really interesting! Sadly I don't have access to a Windows/Linux system until friday. Definitely will try it then! :) 

Keep thinking!

Ah Godot has a nice packaging of asset content only 2 files to play your game... I played it and Godot has a nice lightning and shadows! Good job bru ^_^y

6 minutes ago, Znippy said:

Sadly I don't have access to a Windows/Linux system until friday.

There are some other export options for Godot: Android, MacOSX, iOS, Windows Universal, HTML5. I am keen to get Android working if possible as I've mostly built it with mobile in mind although this will be after the challenge I think.

6 minutes ago, DexterZ101 said:

Ah Godot has a nice packaging of asset content only 2 files to play your game... I played it and Godot has a nice lightning and shadows!

Yup it has lots more advanced stuff (PBR, HDR, bokeh etc) but I am always thinking in terms of mobile so try and use simple shaders, low shadow resolution / overdraw etc. I did some testing last night and it runs about 350-500 fps on my PC. The packaging / export process is very easy and quick.

Have you been using a different tech stack / engine for each challenge?

Admin for GameDev.net.

11 hours ago, khawk said:

Have you been using a different tech stack / engine for each challenge?

So far... I have used unity and godot, it's a good opportunity for me personally to try these out as normally I write straight to opengl / directx, and hadn't tried any modern engines.

I should in theory try unreal next, but I found it too bloated (multi gigabyte) and painfully slow when I tried installing it last. I suspect it is overengineered for my purposes, and these days I won't use bloated software on principle. Although I have utmost respect for Tim Sweeney particularly from the unreal 1 / tournament days, imo you can make amazing software in a few hundred K, you can do anything in a few megabytes, but once you start needing gigabytes, something has usually gone seriously wrong. Obviously assets can increase an install size, but these should be optional.

I'll probably use godot again next time though, I got on with it best even considering the bits I couldn't get working (3d audio and android), and I haven't been tempted by any of the other offerings (so far).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement