[In Dev FPS] Still unamed project in need of some idea

Started by
3 comments, last by Ikkon 5 years, 6 months ago

Hi guy , i wanna really quickly introduce myself , So i'm a 18 year old Highschool student that have been for a while really pationate about video game (i have been doing Esport , Streaming all that really fun stuff) but lately i had to made a choice about what i wanna do in life and i'm pretty sure its going to be in the video game industry. Last year i started learning to use UE4 , pretty much only for fun trying to recreate cool stuff i was seing in the game i was playing at that time. But now , i wanted to trie creating something of my own so i wanna show you what a got in the head. Also , I'm french so sorry if my spelling is quite right.. 

So in Short , i was playing lately alot of FPS (Quake champion , Law Breaker and bunch of other cool game). I was talkinh with my friend and its pretty much their that a got the global idea of what this game is going to be. I wanted to take little simple game mecanics from every game and put them i one unique game. For exemple , Player could Strafe Jump like in quake , while other Start randomly Wall running like in Titanfall 2. After i came up with what would be the game objective , because player won't start playing a game for no reason . I didn't played CTF game for a long time so , i decided why not make this a CTF game , But ctf is kinda mainstream and really linear in term of game play, 

This is when my friend had this idea of <<Why not let the player decide if the want to play it ''Run it down to the flag'' or ''let's just #*@! the other team'' (sorry for the bad words) >>. at this time i had a clear idea of what would exactly be the Core ''gameplay'' (if we can call this gameplay).  To win you have two option :

1- Capture the flag and bring it back to your's. If you managed to do so , the game instantly stop and you win. 

2- Kill all the enemy team.

Now you most be thinking , <<Well how? they will just respawn right?>> well no , because i came up with the idea of limiting the number of time player can respawn using some kind of respawn point system. 

i'll came up with more details later (i have to go to my next class) , but let me know what you think about my idea? what should i add or ajust? 

Advertisement

So there's honestly a lot to unpack here. It's awesome that you're enthusiastic about it at 18, absolutely hold on to that motivation. However, it's still best to take it a step at a time. Design is mostly written and each game needs its structure to be clear, even if its a solo project. This article might help, but it is a bit dense.

Good things you've done so far:

• Reference other games: "i was playing lately alot of FPS (Quake champion , Law Breaker and bunch of other cool game)"
  • Collaborate with others: "I was talkinh with my friend"
  • Propose basic gameplay objective(s):

"1- Capture the flag and bring it back to your's. If you managed to do so , the game instantly stop and you win. 

2- Kill all the enemy team."

Things you need to do now:

• Simplify the design
  • Formally research other games inside the genre you're interested in (FPS)
    • Write down the defining characteristics of each game and compare/contrast
  • Improve technical writing skills
    • Communication is everything for design, it's gotta be crystal clear
  • Make a game design document

Then make a project thread on gamedev.net so we can all see your progress!

- Presently working on my design portfolio.

First, make a Quake mod out of your concept.  From there, tweak its settings as you get feedback from people who play it.  From how it sounds, the resources to create a prototype for your dream game already readily exist.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

On 11/20/2018 at 4:13 PM, spantho said:

So there's honestly a lot to unpack here. It's awesome that you're enthusiastic about it at 18, absolutely hold on to that motivation. However, it's still best to take it a step at a time. Design is mostly written and each game needs its structure to be clear, even if its a solo project. This article might help, but it is a bit dense.

Good things you've done so far:

• Reference other games: "i was playing lately alot of FPS (Quake champion , Law Breaker and bunch of other cool game)"
  • Collaborate with others: "I was talkinh with my friend"
  • Propose basic gameplay objective(s):

"1- Capture the flag and bring it back to your's. If you managed to do so , the game instantly stop and you win. 

2- Kill all the enemy team."

Things you need to do now:

• Simplify the design
  • Formally research other games inside the genre you're interested in (FPS)
    • Write down the defining characteristics of each game and compare/contrast
  • Improve technical writing skills
    • Communication is everything for design, it's gotta be crystal clear
  • Make a game design document

Then make a project thread on gamedev.net so we can all see your progress!

Thank's it really helped me. 

12 hours ago, Lendrigan Games said:

First, make a Quake mod out of your concept.  From there, tweak its settings as you get feedback from people who play it.  From how it sounds, the resources to create a prototype for your dream game already readily exist.

Well me and my friend are already working on a prototype directly made inside UE4 , but it could have been an other way to do so.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement