I want to make a game.

Started by
27 comments, last by nicolacarrera42 5 years, 4 months ago

But what about all the other fangames? I'm pretty sure all they had to do was give credit to Toby Fox for Undertale, and that's be fine!

Look, I'm dead set on this, and if I have to deal with the legal as a result, I'll take it. I just want to make something that I'll be proud of and that will make everyone happy. I understand you just don't want me to get in any trouble, but I have made a lot of progress on ideas and designs, not to mention I have a friend helping me out with this too. I'm willing to handle the baggage.

-CBI

Advertisement
21 minutes ago, Creepa-Bot Inc. said:

But what about all the other fangames? I'm pretty sure all they had to do was give credit to Toby Fox for Undertale, and that's be fine!

Look, I'm dead set on this, and if I have to deal with the legal as a result, I'll take it. I just want to make something that I'll be proud of and that will make everyone happy. I understand you just don't want me to get in any trouble, but I have made a lot of progress on ideas and designs, not to mention I have a friend helping me out with this too. I'm willing to handle the baggage.

It's completely irrelevant on what others are doing as the law is clear on this matter. Giving credit means nothing in terms of negating liability for IP infringement.

You would be wiser to make a spin off of the game with your own IP but it appears you've made your decision so best of luck.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I'll be honest, I don't think I have the capacity to do a spinoff. And thank you for respecting my descision.

-CBI

I understand you’ve made your decision, and that’s fine, but I think just to clarify, you will need explicit permission from the creator, something that would hold up in court, to make the game. It’s not just about giving credit, but getting that permission. Keep that in mind.

Again, you’ve made your decision, so all I can say, like @Rutin is best of luck. 

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

@Creepa-Bot Inc. You do realize that you just quoted the very reason you shouldn't be doing this?

16 hours ago, Creepa-Bot Inc. said:

I don't think I have the capacity to do a spinoff.

There is a uniqueness and a personal side that every author no matter what genre works hard on.
And as much as It's not my business what you do, that person worked hard on it and it's his.
All these people that made it illegally doesn't give you the right too either.

To sum it up it's hard work to make something original which is why lots of people don't.
It's much easier and cheap to work with something that someone else made, and proved successful.
I'll join the rest of the people above in saying good luck, but we as game developers are pretty passionate about this as you can see

Behold.

I am free to make the game, so long as I follow these guidelines!

-CBI

14 minutes ago, Creepa-Bot Inc. said:

I am free to make the game, so long as I follow these guidelines!

Great. Go for it! Your best bet, now that this is settled, is to start a new thread in Game Design to ask your design questions.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

gl, bae!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement