Drag/Drop .gif/video files into blog hangs or errors.

Started by
5 comments, last by Septopus 5 years, 4 months ago

Drag/drop of .gif & video files into blog body(at least on FF) hangs/dies, regardless of size it seems.  I assumed I was just overloading it with big files but I tried with a much smaller one this last time, no go..    And I'm not sure but I think auto generation of thumbnails for videos posted to the gallery and inserted into blog posts is still broken too.  It can make video/gif sharing a bit difficult. 

I just tried the drag/drop upload to blog body again, first with a 2mb .gif file, the upload bar seemed like it was working and when it got to 100% the dialog went away and it just sat there saying Uploading..  with no bar.  Then I added the second larger file and got the error finally.

The larger file is the one I was able to upload for the title image of my last blog entry...  DD there works perfectly, just not dd to the body... ;)

gifuploaderrorgamedevnet.png.aadf75e572cb86acaf4038d37e8dbf4e.png

Also I'm pretty sure the same thing happens using the choose files link, so not just DD related.

Advertisement

I'm working with some smaller format .gif files now and it seems to be working..  User error on that part probably. ;)

I'm getting similar errors but server 502 error and it creates multiple blank image entries in the gallery. Seems I'm not the only one ?

There's been a bit of instability where .gif and video files are concerned.  That I can confirm.

Part of it may be the file size. When you upload these the server starts background processing those files (stripping EXIF, managing compression, creating thumbnails and other scaled sizes, etc.). When it happened yesterday I noticed a lot of processing causing the 502, but I didn't know the cause until putting it together that large gifs/videos were being uploaded.

So yeah, looks like there's a bottleneck in the system there that needs to be worked out.

Admin for GameDev.net.

What was it G.I. Joe used to say?  Knowing is half the battle!  hahaha

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll sort it all out.  Giving me flashbacks of my admin days though. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement