What are the requirements for creating a original game

Started by
4 comments, last by SpeedStinger 4 years, 11 months ago

I've been taking a few classes in game design and think I want to make a career out of it, but I don't know the requirements on creating a game that I can legally sell can someone tell me?

Advertisement

As long as it's not using someone else's copyrighted materials without their permission, you're legally free to sell it.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

2 hours ago, SpeedStinger said:

I don't know the requirements on creating a game that I can legally sell

Sounds like you're asking a Law question. Can you say more about what it is you want to find out? What do you think the requirements might be?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Sounds like a legal question but, if you're talking about going Indie start off with this.

- Pick a Name, any Name. Even if it's the same name of another game, as long that name isn't Trademarked, you can still use that name, as long as your game's actual logo is different. (Though, I will advise on picking an original name,

- Make a Game Logo. Copyright your logo. You won't need to Trademark because, trust me, it's a waste of time. Unless your game gets so big that it becomes a popular catch phrase, trademarking is really a waste of time and money when you're starting out as an Indie.

- Create your game. Figure out the game's logic. Test the game's logic and more importantly let other people play it before launch. (This includes friends and family and would generally be considered a Beta Test)

- Launch your game up on Steam, Itch.IO, Kongregate or build your own launch site. The choice is yours! There's multiple platforms for publishing a game. Figure out your needs and your game's needs and set it up to launch.

That should roughly be it. If you need any more questions, feel free to message me. I'm also an Indie Developer myself so if you get the chance, check me out on YouTube. Just search up Codemaster Jamal and you'll find me. Anyhow, thanks for reading my message and enjoy being a game dev!

6 hours ago, Codemaster Jamal said:

Sounds like a legal question but, if you're talking about going Indie start off with this.

- Pick a Name, any Name. Even if it's the same name of another game, as long that name isn't Trademarked, you can still use that name, as long as your game's actual logo is different. (Though, I will advise on picking an original name,

- Make a Game Logo. Copyright your logo. You won't need to Trademark because, trust me, it's a waste of time. Unless your game gets so big that it becomes a popular catch phrase, trademarking is really a waste of time and money when you're starting out as an Indie.

- Create your game. Figure out the game's logic. Test the game's logic and more importantly let other people play it before launch. (This includes friends and family and would generally be considered a Beta Test)

- Launch your game up on Steam, Itch.IO, Kongregate or build your own launch site. The choice is yours! There's multiple platforms for publishing a game. Figure out your needs and your game's needs and set it up to launch.

That should roughly be it. If you need any more questions, feel free to message me. I'm also an Indie Developer myself so if you get the chance, check me out on YouTube. Just search up Codemaster Jamal and you'll find me. Anyhow, thanks for reading my message and enjoy being a game dev!

This is exactly what I needed I appreciate all the advice from everyone who commented. I'm sorry I couldn't respond as soon as possible about the specifics of my question.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement