Are crowdsourcing / funding the only options?

Started by
2 comments, last by Hodgman 4 years, 9 months ago

Hello,

As an Indie developer, are there other (possibly better ways) other than crowdsourcing / funding to pitch a game idea?  I’ve looked into things like Kickstarter and actually read some of the other recent posts in relation to selling your ideas and the linked replies related to crowdsourcing but was curious if the community has had experience with other options? 

Thanks for your time! 

Advertisement
1 hour ago, montep said:

experience with other options?

Other than Kickstarter and ... what, exactly? "Funding," you said. That's a broad umbrella that covers/includes Kickstarter. Can you be more specific as to the options you've already investigated and redlined? 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

2 hours ago, montep said:

As an Indie developer, are there other (possibly better ways) other than crowdsourcing / funding to pitch a game idea?  I’ve looked into things like Kickstarter and actually read some of the other recent posts in relation to selling your ideas and the linked replies related to crowdsourcing but was curious if the community has had experience with other options?

This is just a general business question, so it can be helpful to forget that you're asking about games for a moment. It's basically:
"I have this great business idea, but I need money to get it off the ground. How should I get the money?"
There's lots of traditional ways to start a business.

1. Invest your own capital (be wealthy, or work + save).
  2. Go to investors and present your business idea and ask for their capital (in exchange for equity in the business, etc).
  3. Go to a bank and present your business idea and ask for a loan.
  4. Ask friends/family for investment/loans/charity.
  5. Try to get customers to pre-order the product before it exists.

In games, #2 could be traditional venture capitalists, or a game-specific publisher who's willing to buy the rights to sell your game, or a service like https://www.fig.co/

#5 covers kickstarter (asking the general public to buy it), and also some deals with publishers -- e.g. you might get a platform owner or publisher to pay you a minimum guarantee of sales as an up-front advance, which you can use to fund development.

#1 also covers making a game as a side-gig / hobby, in your spare time while working a normal job... And also getting a bunch of co-founders together to remortgage your homes and pool your money in a new company.

As for the word "indie"... often that's used to mean "small game", which is something you could do as a hobbyist without much money... And other times, "indie" actually means "independent developer" -- and if you take outside capital, then you're by definition no longer independent.... So that leaves being wealthy or self-funded, being a hobbyist, or taking pre-orders from the public ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement