Degree in USA for game development

Started by
7 comments, last by GeneralJist 4 years, 5 months ago

My ultimate dream is to work in AAA game studio.  I've completed my BSc degree in computer science and my GRE and TOEFL with decent score. Now I want to apply in USA university. But currently confused which degree to apply for. Furthermore, expense is also a concern. I'll appreciate if you suggest specific degree that are suitable to build my career. 

Expertise: C/C++, Unity, OpenGL

Advertisement

Which universities are currently on your list?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

On 11/2/2019 at 8:18 PM, Tom Sloper said:

Which universities are currently on your list?

I have no list yet. Because I am not sure what to look for. 

What kind of degree do you think you would enjoy most? What kind of degree are you most suited for? Do you have price limitations? Do you have weather preferences? How to choose a degree or college.

Triple A companies are mostly on the west coast of the US, with other hot spots in Texas and North Carolina.

15 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

What kind of degree do you think you would enjoy most? What kind of degree are you most suited for? Do you have price limitations? Do you have weather preferences? How to choose a degree or college.

Triple A companies are mostly on the west coast of the US, with other hot spots in Texas and North Carolina.

Thanks for the link.

I would prefer game programming/graphics programming degree. Yes, I have price limitations. I need scholarship/financial aid/RA/TA to help pay tuition. As for the weather, I would prefer avoiding extreme weather. But, weather is the least concern. 

And I didn't know any relationship between the location of university and AAA company. 

On 11/3/2019 at 11:19 PM, psychameron said:

And I didn't know any relationship between the location of university and AAA company. 

Student A goes to a university a thousand miles away from company AAA. Student B goes to a university one mile away from company AAA. Which student do you think has a better chance of getting hired by company AAA?

Answer: Student B. Student B might know somebody (fellow alum of university A) who works at company AAA. Maybe someone from AAA spoke to Student B's class. Maybe Student B had opportunities to test games for company AAA.

This is called the "Location, Location, Location" rule (FAQ 84).

Since you've already got a bachelors degree, you've got the education that opens doors as a programmer.

Get a masters degree if education is what you want, do it if your goal is to further your education. Don't do it if your purpose is to get a better game programming job. 

With your BSc in Computer Science on your job applications, start applying for jobs.

ya, I'ma little confused. If you a;ready have a bachelors whats the issue?

Just start applying.

You might need a portfolio so maybe work on that.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement