Possibility to revert gamedev.net to old design?

Started by
37 comments, last by khawk 4 years, 4 months ago
Advertisement

M0N0_M4N said:

I would revert, the change seems unnecessarily painful (I still get weird errors with everything).

Details on these weird errors, including when these errors are seen, browser, etc. would do wonders to get them addressed.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Is there some way to do search with date constraints? I look up “NPC” and I get random messages back to 2004. I'd like to see what's going on recently.

Not a big deal, but I prefer menu to be at the top - with hover → click sub-forum. Now, to reach sub-forums, it takes a few more clicks, and also take my left-space when reading posts.

List of topics is now shown as {Line1:Name,Line2(smaller):Stat}, it tries to stuff unnecessary detail in one place. The old one is more table/excel-like which is more tidy.

The “Forums” button is now link to “Lastest” instead of “Categories” by default. I thought that the old “Categories” is scrapped because “Categories” button is in the top bar (but main toolbar is on the left - inconsistent design). I prefer the old way too.

The right bar “Popular” looks like intrusive advertisement more than ever.

Perhaps, I need time to adapt.

On a bright sight, it looks more modern and more Apple(R). Buttons and their container toolbars look cleaner.

The love-red-heart is also looking better than the old confusing grumpy reputation icon.

Thank for your hard work. The old design needs change for a long time. ?

Nagle said:

Is there some way to do search with date constraints? I look up “NPC” and I get random messages back to 2004. I'd like to see what's going on recently.

As a start (until more time/add more capability), I've added an ability to sort by most recent or by most relevant (defaults to relevant). Try another search and you'll see the sort button.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I'm GDNet+ and was hit by an ad in this thread, immediately above your post. Refreshing made it go away. PC/Windows/Chrome.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Not sure why huge ads in Italian are displayed inside of posts now.

There's also absolutely nothing on this entire website that cannot be done easily in plain DHTML on the server without a trace of slow and buggy JavaScript. GameDev actually made an added effort for the sake of using JavaScript just to increase the attack vector both ways, decrease usability and make the site less accessible for disabled people. Nobody needs animated buttons or text flying around just to annoy the reader.

Lactose said:

I'm GDNet+ and was hit by an ad in this thread, immediately above your post. Refreshing made it go away. PC/Windows/Chrome.

This was fixed. Apologies.

Dawoodoz said:
There's also absolutely nothing on this entire website that cannot be done easily in plain DHTML on the server without a trace of slow and buggy JavaScript.

GameDev.net has thousands of users a day, and everyone uses it a little bit differently including many who do want the experience JS can provide. An example is select quote (select and quote specific text). Also, the editor itself - code formatting, quoting, tagging, drag and drop images, and to format blog entries and tutorials exactly as you want them all require it. Notifications, messages, search suggestions (coming), and more on top.

As for slow and buggy JS, sorry. The GameDev APM error rates only show the occasional error these days if they aren't already reported by members, and they are promptly fixed. As for why there are bugs, no excuses, but my technical background is game engines, tools, gameplay, networking, graphics, not web dev. Still learning and improving.

Personally, I think things are working pretty great given the circumstances, but maybe I'm biased.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement