A subcategory for modding?

Started by
4 comments, last by Embassy of Time 3 years, 11 months ago

I think it would benefit the place a lot, attracting new people and new ideas, if modders had their own category. It's game development, IMHO, and I hear a lot of especially young talent starts there.

[DEDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

Advertisement

Yes, I like this idea. I think we had one of these a long time ago but it didn't have enough activity.

Still, with the organization of the new site, I think it makes more sense now since low activity in a particular forum is/will be less of a concern.

Admin for GameDev.net.

@undefined Maybe it should be made more to attract interest than serve an existing need? Maybe the current cross contamination is minimal but has potential…

Preparing to add this. What should it be named?

Admin for GameDev.net.

Embassy of Time said:
I think it would benefit the place a lot, attracting new people and new ideas, if modders had their own category. It's game development, IMHO, and I hear a lot of especially young talent starts there.

I would actually argue the opposite in 3 regards:

1. "Copyright" issues around unofficial modding. Times have changed a lot, there's a lot more emphasis on “content control” nowadays, so if you're doing something the copyright holders don't like, and you're based in the US, it's perceived as being really easy for them to "legally inconvenience" you to the point where you shut it down because it's just not worth the hassle. This site couldn't host a lot of files, and even allowing linking to certain content can cause issues (maybe even just with advertisers and not legal).
  2. If you're doing modding in an officially allowed capacity, chances are there's already a dedicated reddit/discord/community for it. There's a lot of things forums like GD are no longer used for sadly (not to say people aren't using forums, because they are), so the hopes of being able to attract new people simply because the forums will have a dedicated modding section seems a bit too hopeful, especially when modern platforms like discord/reddit have grown and become so prevalent for faster than forum-time communication. More often than not, most projects have a GitHub or other open source repo that has everything people need to get started on.
  3. Everyone is their own platform. Not to sound too pessimistic, but as someone who has spent large parts of my life doing things for free and for others to profit from (when times were different), only caring about enjoying the journey along the way, it's hard to incentivize people to do a bunch of work to build up a community around something, and not ask for something in return, be it via Patreon support, or donations, or having their own ad-driven social media channel, etc… Content is king nowadays, and with that, so is complete control over it.

Let me ask you (generic you, not the poster I'm quoting) this. As someone who has the skills necessary to build up an entire modding platform/community myself for virtually any PC game I was interested in, what's my incentive to call GD “home” and use a forum based platform for it? I think that's the type of question that needs to be answered, as the time traditional solution of just making a forum section and hoping people use it is just too ineffective by today's standards.

I'm not arguing there shouldn't be a modding section though, but unless someone in the community has something ready to go and is ready to start building up a sub-community around something, I don't realistically expect anything to come from it. I'd much rather just start a new Blog dedicated to my modding project and manage stuff from there personally.

@undefined I think just “Modding” would fit the bill? Or “Modders Only”, maybe? As for whether it should exist, there is no significant cost unless it grows large enough to require extensive moderation, I believe, so it only needs work if it is a success?

Pardon the late reply, I've had a long running crisis in my cat shelter…..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement