(Revshare/Hobby) Unreal c++ programmer needed for top down puzzle game

Started by
1 comment, last by SacredTube 2 years, 9 months ago

INTRO

Hello we are a small group of people and we call ourselves Pixel Entity. We've been learning and trying to make games for about a year or so. We've tried to be minimal about our approach but we are starting to feel that we need some extra hands. Our goal is to learn and become self sufficient about making games and possibly expand from there if it gets that far. We know we want to create and we're trying to build our portfolios over time. We have our normal jobs but we want to build our skills outside that. So we're not at the stage where we can offer money unfortunately.

GAME

So to get to the point we have decided to make a single player, top down puzzle type of game. We have some kind of a concept but we're light on documentation so apologies for that. The premise revolves around controlling characters to perform certain actions to complete puzzles and move on to the next stage in the game. It's easier to imagine as having RTS controls and you interact with parts of the environment to figure out solutions. We are not trying to be ambitious. We want to complete a project so we can put our names on it.

NEED

What we would really like is a programmer. In particular, a C++ programmer would be preferred as we've been using Unreal for while. Now we have programmers but since we're learning about the engine over time at the same time that makes progress slower than we would like.

You do not necessarily have to be an expert or even good but we want this to work so you have to be willing to learn and understand all not the not so great things about indie game dev. We don't have a "do it when we feel" like mentality.

It's especially important that you have a good amount of time to use because we've learned that the amount of time one thinks they have is in reality much less and not as usable as they think.

It would also be good if you did not have obligations that would make you unreliable such as a very demanding job where you work an extended amount of hours or if you're pursuing a degree. We won't dismiss anyone immediately though, we can only ask so much from someone for free. If you can make a strong case for yourself despite these things we will give it all some consideration. So this does not have to be your number 1 priority but we would really like it to be your number 2. We don't expect you to treat it like a full time job but we would like you to be very present and again reliable. We've changed our life styles so we can't say we never have time.

Goes without saying but we would like you to be team oriented because we have professional team experience and it's very much key to getting anything done.

We have an itch.io page: PixelEntity - itch.io . We only have a small project we did there. We've done others as well but none had ever materialized into any worth showing. The nature of game dev by trial and error.

Of course it would be nice if you were familiar with Unreal but we only specify programmer broadly because that title indicates the mindset we are looking for rather than a game enthusiast type (though of course is not a bad thing to be).

Sorry if this comes off strict and disingenuous but we have to be clear about what we need. Also we're talking about from experiencing and it becomes obvious you have to ask for these things to even get started.

TDLR: C++ programmer (any programming skill but preferred not a complete newcomer), time (be very clear about your lifestyle and how it might affect your reliability), have reasonable expectations about doing indie game dev.

Any questions we are happy to answer and anything we need to clarify we can, we've avoided recruiting for a while so we don't know how much is relevant for you to know. I will update this as needed. Also if you happen to be an artist you are free to ask too though we are not sure where an artist would fit in at the moment. But we're not against you reaching out.

Advertisement

@pixelentity

Hi pixel,

I might be interested in this role you guys need to fill. I have a B.S. in Computer Science and my first language was C++ so I'm proficient in it. I'm looking to build my resume and portfolio so any work I can add on there would be beneficial. If you're still interested you can email me at mailto:crivera8681@gmail.com​ and we can talk more there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement