Where shall I start?

Started by
3 comments, last by giovz481 1 year ago

Heyllo dear game developers!

I am learning programming languages (such as HTML5 [not a real programming language, just mentioning]; CSS [same…]; JavaScript; Python; C; C++ right now) for a fairly long time and my dream is to develop a game. I was looking for where to start in the internet but I couldn't find anything that was really helpful. My dream would be to 100% program the game, no game engines, nothing what I would need except a solid programming language. Is that even possible? If yes in which programming language(s?)? Where should I start? What programming language should I choose to focus on 100% of my time? Thanks for your answers!
GaBeKool

Advertisement

After you have mastered all those languages you're presently studying, you will be better prepared to try to build a game from scratch without benefit of an engine, but you will have to learn all the things that go into a game. It's recommended to use an existing engine when starting out.

Anyhow, you should read our Start Here page: https://www.gamedev.net/start/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

My dream would be to 100% program the game, no game engines, nothing what I would need except a solid programming language.

Inventing the wheel takes time. I don't like engines myself, but obviously they serve their purpose.
JavaScript (TypeScript) can be used without any engine, or even library. You get ‘sprites’, sound, etc.
If you're willing to use a library/framework, you open a world of possibilities.
JavaScript/Typescript with Phaser,
Haxe with OpenFL,
C++ with SDL/SFML,
Java with LWJGL,

etc, etc.

Going along with the other comments, I agree that it is very suitable to make a game with the help of a engine/library, mainly for helping on graphics rendering, and if you will need realistic physics in your game, a physics library can help a lot. This way you can focus all of your creativity on what really matters on your game, on what will differ it from other games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement