Why are there gaps in my fibonacci sphere?

Started by
13 comments, last by kwikc 11 months ago

alvaro said:

To the OP: Did you figure out the problem? If you just render the vertices as a collection of dots, does it look right?

No, the problem is no longer the triangulation because I already found and implemented a working algorithm for that, the problem is I don't know what draw type to use, because I plotted out points, and then triangulated them, I would've thought that the problem was that I needed to draw with GL_TRIANGLES but that just draws the points I generated as triangles and doesn't give them algorithm a chance to triangulate them and leave the sphere as is. And of course, when I draw in GL_POINTS, it just draws the points I generated / plotted, so my problem is I don't know which draw type to properly display the data, or if I'm going to need to use some outside algorithm to help with that.

None

Advertisement

If it doesn't render correctly with GL_TRIANGLES, then your triangulation is wrong.

I'd recommend trying a different more practical sphere parametrization, such as the the quad sphere, which will make it much easier to generate the triangles, as well as easier to texture. You can get nearly even distribution of points on the sphere if you use the tan() function to warp the coordinates on each face.

@Aressera Yeah I just tested the algorithm a few more times, and I think the problem has to do with how I'm plotting the points, I'm going to try and plot the points top to bottom instead of from the side and see if that works. If it doesn't then I'll just try another way.

None

This edge in no way makes up for the awkward vertex density distribution of a UV sphere.

It's not having to have vertices of a same number on all latitude lines.

You shouldn't be using cylindrical projections anyway.

Cyclical rectangle texture is only for equatorial belt.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement