Path tracing in Vulkan

Started by
116 comments, last by taby 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Looks very cool. I think of levels containing low poly glass elements. : )

But how does it look if you replace the prism with something complex, like a bunny? I wonder if it still looks cool or more chaotic and confusing.

Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback Joe. Yes, caustics are going to be critical in future games.

I'll ask Rob (the modeller guy) if he has time and interest to do a bunny scene like you describe. As it is, we do have one scene where the bunny is a light.

I managed to get it working on my own.

Fog is working now, sort of. Notice how the light energy forming the caustic is used to light up the fog.

taby said:

I'll ask Rob (the modeller guy) if he has time and interest to do a bunny scene like you describe. As it is, we do have one scene where the bunny is a light.

I'm always glad to help out, but I see you got it all set up on your own. It is probably better to be able to tweak things yourself, since you know exactly what you're looking for. Still, if you need more help, always feel free to ask.

Yes, everyone, this is Rob. 🙂

The code was getting pretty convoluted, and so it probably would have turned out better if I had asked you, man. LOL

taby said:
It’s coming along, sort of.

Thanks. And i'm glad you manged to import a 3D model without bothering an artist. :D

I see it looks pretty meh, as expected. So likely we want flat / edgy / low poly stuff to make this shine. In case refraction becomes indeed big in games.

I should have asked for an armadillo model instead of the bunny. The bumpy structure on the back of the shell might give good looking glass at least, but i expect the diffractions on the walls would be still just a blob.

The fog is not cooperating with me LOL

Looks good, except for some glitches.

So, to get around the glitches, I'm re-doing the fog from scratch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement