Hi! I'm looking for c++ dev to the game project

Started by
11 comments, last by bannacaffallatta 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi! I'm looking for a talented C++ programmer to join our exciting game project, a multiplayer horror game set in an SCP-themed facility in Antarctica. Imagine a chilling and immersive experience with player models donned in winter attire, navigating through a snowy landscape. We're aiming to create an intense multiplayer experience with rounds and unique classes, each with their own objectives. The best part? It's a passion project, and the game will be free to play! If you're passionate about game development and want to be part of something thrilling, join us on this adventure. Let's bring this horrifyingly fun game to life together! For more details, please reach me on discord my discord: vplay_ (i can give more info on discord)

Advertisement

Why C++?

C++ is not a dying language. Quit the drama.

Based on GitHub statistics - C++ is at 10% of total projects, while it was at 5% of total projects in 2013. As the amount of projects grow over time - this shows massive growing popularity of the language. Also:

• C went from about 3.6% to 4.8%.
  • C# went from 2.11% to about 3.3%
  • Java went from 8.4% to 11.4%
  • Go went from 0.8% to 10.9%

On the other hand for example:

• Javascript went from 17% (peaked at almost 25% in 2016) down to 9.5%
  • Php went from about 15% to about 5%
  • Typescript went from 0.9% to about 8.7%, but last year steeply “falls" to 7.7%

The main problem is - as projects grow over time - languages whose percentage decreases of ten just have less projects added (but total number still grows). Arguing about “which language is better” is absolutely irrelevant. Use the language that is good for your needs.

• Writing a web server endpoints? Php is fine, so is Javascript. But feel free to go ahead and torture yourself writing nginx module in C for your small website (yes, there are situations when this makes sense - but that's not everywhere).
  • Writing an ai service? Python is one of the greatest for that with huge toolbox. But hey - C also works.
  • Writing an app? Kotlin and Swift are probably your best friends at that point, but hey … you can torture yourself in C again (it makes sense sometimes, but mostly not.
  • Writing a high performance application? Using C++, Direct3D and compute shaders is a reasonable choice
  • Writing complex database scripts? Using Python is great again, you can do so in bash too … but if you wish to torture yourself, no one will prevent you from writing large application for that in Pascal or even “dark magic” things like Haskell

For each project you should pick a language that makes sesne for it - developing a game is not different. You will (most likely) end up using multiple languages in the end, that's quite common for larger projects.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

TuttiAssieme said:
c++ which is crumbling upon itself

This is not an informed opinion. C++ is here to stay. AFAIK, most of the languages you mention are implemented at a low level in C/C++. You can do things in C/C++ that are impossible or very difficult in higher level languages. It is possible to maximize performance in C/C++ in ways that are not feasible in those mentioned languages, because you have complete control over memory layout and allocations and easy access to SIMD intrinsics or assembly language. In the hands of an expert, it's a powerful tool. With manual optimization, it's possible in many cases to get >10x speedup relative to simple naive C/C++ code, and even greater speedups relative to high level languages (100x-1000x). This capability for speed and zero-cost abstractions means that C++ is the language of choice for most high-performance computing.

Garbage-collected languages will always be handicapped relative to manual memory management because garbage collection is expensive and problematic in real-time systems which must maintain interactivity (i.e. games). This is a serious problem in engines like Unity where C# developers go to great lengths to avoid allocations, to avoid the wrath of the garbage collector. C#/Java doesn't make it any easier by requiring heap allocations for every class object. At least C# has structs. Whereas in C++ I can create/destroy class objects on the stack with minimal overhead, or pack them tightly in arrays for cache locality, or even preallocate a big array of bytes and implement my own faster allocator.

The only language I know of that has potential to dethrone C++ is Rust. However, C/C++ got here first and has the inertia of decades of code and libraries already written, so I doubt it can be easily replaced.

Aressera said:
The only language I know of that has potential to dethrone C++ is Rust.

It depends and if that happens to be the case, it's going to take very long time. I used GitHut 2.0 as source for the data - but when you look at language stats from TIOBE or such, C++ is currently 3rd most used language (surpassed Java), right behind C (2nd) and Python (1st). Currently even Object Pascal (15th … yeah and most newcomers still consider Pascal to be a completely dead over a decade ago - it's still being quite a lot used in development) is still more used than Rust (17th).

If Rust is going to dethrone C++ (or even C) it still has a long way to go.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Vilem Otte said:
If Rust is going to dethrone C++ (or even C) it still has a long way to go.

Agreed

TuttiAssieme said:
What I suggest is Unity and C# , do not waste your time with C++ its a dying language

If C++ dies, Unity will die with it, since it's written in C++ itself. Like pretty much any proper game engine.

TuttiAssieme said:
go, c# , java , are fare better than c++ which is crumbling upon itself

Depends on what you do, and mainly on your skills.

Obviously C++ is too hard for you, which is the only valid information you've managed to expose from your trolling.
Seems people no longer need C++ to shoot their own foot, lol.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement