Seeking Advice for a Revolutionary Mobile Gaming Idea - Where to Begin?

Started by
2 comments, last by JoeJ 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Greetings GameDev.net Community,

I'm thrilled to share that I have a groundbreaking idea for a mobile game that I truly believe could revolutionize the gaming industry. However, as a complete novice with zero experience in game development, I find myself at a loss on where to begin.

This game isn't just your run-of-the-mill mobile app – it's something truly special, something that has the potential to redefine how people engage with gaming on their smartphones. But I can't do it alone, and I'm turning to this esteemed community for guidance and support.

Could any of you offer advice on how to kickstart a mobile gaming project with no prior experience? Are there specific resources, forums, or communities within GameDev.net that I should explore? I'm eager to learn from those who have traversed this path before and to absorb as much knowledge as I can.

Thank you all for your invaluable insights and assistance as I embark on this exhilarating journey of game development!

Advertisement

MattAleks said:
Are there specific resources, forums, or communities within GameDev.net that I should explore?

https://gamedev.net/start/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

MattAleks said:
However, as a complete novice with zero experience in game development, I find myself at a loss on where to begin.

Try game engines like Unity, Unreal, Godot, GameMaker, etc. You have more options if the game is 2D.
Learn general programming, follow tutorials for your engine of choice (which may be a few at the start).
Make a playable prototype for your game using placeholders for content (which might take you years).
Some engines offer ‘visual scripting’ as an alternative to writing source code. If your idea is easy to implement, this might be good enough and is easier to learn eventually.

Alternatively you can hire programmers and artists if you can afford. But people may leave or become at least unable the spend the time needed, and it may be hard to keep your idea secret this way. Signed non disclosure agreements are no guarantee.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement