Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Utility AI Action Atomicity

Started by BlackDice May 20, 2025 at 8:07 PM 1 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
BlackDice
BlackDice

Hi!
I have a question about action atomicity in terms of Utility AI.

Let's say my unit has a melee attack and a default movement ability.
When I evaluate different actions that my AI agent can perform, should I make two separate decisions — “move to X where you probably can hit someone” and “attack X who is right next to you”, or one decision — “move to X and attack Y”?

From my perspective as a player, I don't decide to move somewhere just because there is somebody to hit, and then decide to hit. I decide to move and hit a specific target, non-separably. So, should I keep them as one decision, or separate them but make the "move" action also consider all of the important things about the targets at this point, like health, armor, statuses, etc?

Alberth
Alberth

My guess is either is fine. It's just how you look at it.

What you do as player is not that important. An AI doesn't have to simulate reality, it just has to look that way. It can make decisions in whatever way it likes as long as it appears believable from an observer point of view.

Finally, I am not so sure you are not considering attacking and moving separately. What happens if see that you cannot reach the opponent?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.