Hi everyone!
I’m a 3D Environment Artist and I’ve been wanting to create my own 2D platformer with RPG elements and a cartoon style similar to Paper Mario, set in an original universe.
My goal is to make a minimal playable prototype using AI during the little free time I have on weekends. The idea is to build something very small but functional, like:
- One character with basic actions
- One simple enemy
- A HUD with a health bar
- A small, playable section of a level
I’d like to release it either as a free beta or at a symbolic price (around 1€ / “Buy me a coffee”) to test the idea, gain visibility, and start building a small community around it.
The long-term goal would be to expand the game gradually, adding content and improving the experience step by step.
I have a few questions for anyone who’s been through this process:
- How is the 2D game industry doing today? Is there still an audience for indie platformers?
- How can I gain visibility starting from zero and without a team? Should I focus on social media, Discord, or forums?
- Do donation-based or micro-payment systems work for small prototypes?
- Which strategy would be better: releasing a free beta to collect feedback, or setting a small price from the beginning?
- Which engine would you recommend: Unity or Godot? Why is Godot getting so much attention for 2D projects?
Any advice, experiences, or feedback would be super helpful! Thanks in advance 🙏