Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Thoughts on my game proof of concept and idea itself?

Started by CitySurfers Jul 31 at 2:26 PM 5 replies 650+ views
Original Post
CitySurfers
CitySurfers

ive been working on a proof of concept for my game lately, the game is about running through digital twins of real cities from all over the world, its like Subway Surfers kind of game concept, but with a lot more variety, since the nature of running through digital twins, you can run in sidewalks, roads, train tracks, and have to avoid npc's, vehicles, trains, etc, all depending on what lane you are in.
im trying to do is see if people are even interested in my game idea, if so, check my profile and join the recently made Discord community, link is in About, Thank you!!!

bvanevery
bvanevery

Honestly, "about running" is not enough of a description. It makes me think about jogging, or perhaps track and field. I don't jog in real life, so a game about jogging sounds pretty boring. What would you do, have WASD buttons for movement and just press W the whole time? That would make it a walking simulator, except that it's a jogging simulator.

"Real cities from all over the world" is sort of a neutral for me. It's not particularly creative; not like you're running through the 0.5 G lava pits of an exotic planet or some such. Cityscapes could actually be quite beautiful and touristy depending on your art direction, but that's not easy to put into words. I think I'd rather jog through landscapes that are adventurous and fantastical. I do wonder about jogging past major landmarks, as opposed to every aspect of a real city simulated in excruciating detail.

Anyways I suggest you spend more time on a "logline" description of your game, more than just "about running".


gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.
bvanevery
bvanevery

So a "mobile runner game" is basically a racing game, but instead of a car, you're a person? That's what your video loop looks like to me. I still think you could work on a better 1 sentence "logline" for your game, rather than counting on people to click on links.


gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.
LorenzoGatti
LorenzoGatti

Realistic environments allow, and demand, complex routes (often indoor or underground), complex movement (e.g. car-assisted skateboarding, jumps between roofs, safe falls), complex obstacles (e.g. irritable goats, porters carrying interesting breakable objects), complex scenery. Is it going to be an opportunity or a cost? Where do you draw the line? I'd avoid the idea of a "digital twin" of a real location because it implies freedom of movement, which is totally incompatible with running on a certain route.

Are you going to make a racing game, where everything should be optimized for challenging running action and variety would be "wrong", or an adventure game where genuine different locations make sense and novelty is expected?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
bvanevery
bvanevery

LorenzoGatti wrote:

I'd avoid the idea of a "digital twin" of a real location because it implies freedom of movement, which is totally incompatible with running on a certain route.

I dunno, the Boston Marathon is run in Boston, and all the contestants have to stick to the route. If the fiction of the game sets it up as a race, however twisted the race officials have made it, I don't see a problem. One might also seek inspiration in the very old 1960s Speed Racer cartoons. That's with cars, but there's always a required route, not freedom of movement. Maybe these things become more obvious if there are other contestants in the race?

gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.