Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Heightmap in 2D, Settlers. How?

Started by kill Feb 24, 2000 at 9:22 PM 4 replies 1k views
Original Post
kill
kill
I have a question about landscapes in 2D. I am thinking of a game engine for the strategy-like game. Games like starcraft, civilization, etc. don''t have real landscapes. My question is, how can u map tiles to different heights in 2D? How did they do it in settlers?
Spellbound
Spellbound
I don''t remember what Settlers looks like, but if you look at the early Populous series from Bullfrog it is quite easy to see how it''s done.

When rendering the tiles they are just raised according to the level they are on. To avoid gaps between levels you''ll need some tiles with slopes between the two levels.
Zombie
Zombie
If I remember right, landscape in Settlers was very smooth compared to Populous.
Spellbound
Spellbound
They are. I believe they use really small hexagonal tiles for their landscapes.
Zed
Zed
Settlers was made out of triangles forming a pattern on the ground with roads between the crossingpoints

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.