Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Have I overstepped the mark? Final update - this thread rated PG-13 for language

Started by benryves Feb 10, 2005 at 10:38 PM 76 replies 12.7k views
Original Post
benryves
benryves
I'm not one usually given to getting annoyed with people, but have just had to do a little "support" on one of my calculator games. The original email read:
Quote:
Subject: firetrack I was wonderin if u have any new games and how can i run this firetrack 2 game i have alot of ram and it says error low ram!............what do i do?
Now, ladies and gentlemen, the ZIP download for this particular game contains a couple of files [the calculator binaries], and 2 folders. One marked "source" and another marked "readme". Click here to see the content of that folder. I fired off this email in response:
Quote:
Subject: Read the file marked "ReadMe" next time, please. Dear Yk2846; *sighs* I have broken down what you need to do in two simple steps. If you have difficulty reading or understanding them, please find a responsible adult to assist you. Step 1: Learn some English. Please. The abuse of the full stop in your email brings tears to my eyes - they all seem to run to the end the first sentence and gather between it and the second one. Your usage of the "Shift" key is erratic. "Alot" is not a world. [See http://dictionary.cambridge.org/results.asp?searchword=alot]. If you are going to ask for help, at least do it in a clear manner and you won't come across as such an idiot. Step 2: Look in the Fire Track 2 zip file and you'll see a folder called "readme". This implies that you should read the contents of it. Inside that folder is a file called "ReadMe.htm". Open this by double-clicking. Section 2 is headed: "2. Installation, and the problems with RAM". Click that link or scroll down. Had you actually bothered to read this document [I do write them for a reason], you would have seen that (and here I quote directly from the body of the "ReadMe" file): -------- This page file is quite large - you'll have difficulty running the program with less than 8KB of RAM free. If you do, you'll get this message: (At this point there's a picture that displays the "ERROR! Low RAM \ 2ND to Quit." message exactly as it appears on the calculator.) Press 2nd and delete or archive a few programs until you stop getting the message. This will affect Ion users worse than MirageOS users as with Ion you need to have the shell in RAM too. Once you get to the title screen, you're all set! -------- So, I guess what you need to do is to do just what it says - delete or archive a few programs until the program actually runs [about 8KB of RAM needs to be freed up - look at the counter at the top of the screen]. It [Fire Track 2] can't do that for you. If you don't know how to do that, I suggest you take a look at the thick white manual that comes with the calculator. Again, people spend a lot of time writing documentation so that people such as yourself can read it and work out how to get around it without wasting the developer's time answering emails. Maybe you don't think that "ERROR! Low RAM" is a clear enough indication of a case of low memory? How else do you want me to present it? Maybe I'd even have more spare time to develop games if I didn't have to answer emails such as this? Ben
Am I just a grumpy sod? Or do you get annoying emails like the one I got? Was I right to answer in the way I did, or should I just be the nice fluffy individual and say "why of course, you just do this!". I used to act like that, but the constant flow of stupid questions (one constant series caused me to have to just email people single line emails with the link http://benryves.com/linkinghelp.htm, for example) has reduced me to this level. Grr. Update: His response is here. Update 2: Final response is here. [Edited by - benryves on February 12, 2005 7:27:14 PM]
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
kSquared
kSquared
Don't respond with e-mails to questions that are covered in your FAQ/readme. It might be useful to post the readme on your site and make it more obvious, but you can't do anything for people who completely ignore your documentation.

But did you "overstep the line"? I'm not sure what line you're talking about specifically, but I doubt you two are ever going to be come best buds or anything. =)
- k2 "Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ<
C-Junkie
C-Junkie
remove your email address from all but the very bottom of a long and comprehensive FAQ.
benryves
benryves
Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Don't respond with e-mails to questions that are covered in your FAQ/readme. It might be useful to post the readme on your site and make it more obvious.




More obvious than that? Maybe I should change the folder name to "READ THE FILE README.HTM IN THIS FOLDER BEFORE EMAILING ME, FOOL!"...
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
nagromo
nagromo
I think you were slightly rude, but he was acting like an idiot. I probably wouldn't have responded to him at all.
benryves
benryves
Quote:
Original post by nagromo
I think you were slightly rude, but he was acting like an idiot. I probably wouldn't have responded to him at all.


It's late [grin].
I do make a point of answering all emails [usually in a more civil manner, granted]... but it was just after this one I thought "uh-oh" and wondered what you guys thought.
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
kSquared
kSquared
Quote:
Original post by benryves
More obvious than that? Maybe I should change the folder name to "READ THE FILE README.HTM IN THIS FOLDER BEFORE EMAILING ME, FOOL!"...


Emphasis mine:

Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Don't respond with e-mails to questions that are covered in your FAQ/readme. It might be useful to post the readme on your site and make it more obvious.


I wouldn't get too hung up on it. He was just lazy.
- k2 "Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ<
Salsa
Salsa
I love you Benny.

But I think you overkilled that reply e-mail to him!
Kult House - Fresh Production Media
stormrunner
stormrunner
Quote:
Original post by benryves
Am I just a grumpy sod? Or do you get annoying emails like the one I got? Was I right to answer in the way I did, or should I just be the nice fluffy individual and say "why of course, you just do this!".

I wouldn't worry about it too much. At the most you lost a loyal fan, and while I personally think you should have been a little less harsh, I'm also in a good mood at the moment (this will change shortly, as I have to write an annoyingly stupid physics lab).

It does bear remembering where these people come from - everything has installers, and 99% of the time everything works. And if it doesn't work, then they buy a new one, which does. There never really is any effort required; so it's not entirely their fault that they're stupid and lazy and have bad grammar.

Conclusion : get some sleep.
stormrunner
GroZZleR
GroZZleR
Quote:

Step 1: Learn some English. Please. The abuse of the full stop in your email brings tears to my eyes - they all seem to run to the end the first sentence and gather between it and the second one. Your usage of the "Shift" key is erratic. "Alot" is not a world. [See http://dictionary.cambridge.org/results.asp?searchword=alot]. If you are going to ask for help, at least do it in a clear manner and you won't come across as such an idiot.


Judge not, lest ye be judged? ;)

Just kidding, his e-mail was terrible. Way to stick it to him! =)
Drew_Benton
Drew_Benton
Quote:
Original post by Salsa
I love you Benny.

But I think you overkilled that reply e-mail to him!


[lol] To be honest yes you did. Patience is the key when working with clients! Even though your stuff is free and they are being dumb - you should always be nice - even in times of their great stupidity. You never know when these things come back to bite you... But it was still great humor though [smile]. Thanks for the laugh.

- Drew
Raduprv
Raduprv
If I'd get a penny for every stupid and obvious question I had to answer my users...
And most of the questions are answered on the Help forum. And most of them use the same tone/punctuation/spelling like that guy.
benryves
benryves
Quote:
Original post by GroZZleR
Quote:

Step 1: Learn some English. Please. The abuse of the full stop in your email brings tears to my eyes - they all seem to run to the end the first sentence and gather between it and the second one. Your usage of the "Shift" key is erratic. "Alot" is not a world. [See http://dictionary.cambridge.org/results.asp?searchword=alot]. If you are going to ask for help, at least do it in a clear manner and you won't come across as such an idiot.


Judge not, lest ye be judged? ;)

Just kidding, his e-mail was terrible. Way to stick it to him! =)


Hehe, I'm sorry. I'm grumpy and it's 5:07AM and I can't sleep. Bleh. *kicks self*
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
nts
nts
Read the readme.htm in the readme folder.

That would have been sufficient, attacking him on his english (yeah it was bad) was a bit much. One line e-mails deserve one line answers.

Myopic Rhino
Myopic Rhino
Quote:
Original post by benryves
do you get annoying emails like the one I got?
Me? Never...

Quote:

Subject: agree of all terms i want games to download in my computer.

hello i will not tell my name but if you could try very hard with this idea it would probably be the biggist hit yet ok heres the idea for "pokemon" : there has been pokemon snap stadium 1 and 2 and all
the gameboy versions but what if you could play as the pokemon instead of giving it commands let yourself move with the left right up and down to dodge the moves yourself and aim the pokeball
when it flies to catch the pokemon actully use moves instead of giving commands ex (for playstation) pikachus moves wold maybe be
x:agility
o:tackle
square:quick attack
triangle:power up
powered up:o+x:thunder shock
so on and so forth if you could send this to sony playstation somehow you would for-fill my gaming dream

Quote:

Subject: I want to be a game programmer

I going to be a videogame programmer but do you have to be good at all of
those to be a game programmer cause i got the heart to stay as long as i get
degree and love game and understand them i always said that i was going to be
a game programmer. Where do I start and I want to creat a game now but i dont
now where to start so I can get experience. thanks for letting me talk to
yall and bye.

Quote:

Subject: my game is mest up

Ok listien i'm not typing on my commputer. I need help I bought ages of empire and when i installed it the screen frose and it shut off when I turnd it on again every thing was ereased even my porno
i fuck cows
Ainokea
Ainokea
Poor Rhino.
______________With the flesh of a cow.
Drew_Benton
Drew_Benton
[lol] This thread has to go on the GameDev humor portal now.
ontheheap
ontheheap
I think that email is absolutely hilarious. A bit harsh, but still very, very funny =)

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
[lol] This thread has to go on the GameDev humor portal now.


Agreed.

Quote:
Original post by Ainokea
[lol] Poor Rhino.


Definitely agreed!
stormrunner
stormrunner
Quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
*** godawful e-mails containing ***
*** punctuation and grammar to make Jesus cry ***

Dear god, that's just sad. My respect for Rhino, - while substantial to begin with - has now increased tenfold.

He must take a lot of pills.
stormrunner

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.