China bans under 18 from PKing

Started by
38 comments, last by Richy2k 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by POLSKASH
China, great country. HAHA, yeah freaking right. 1.3 billion people putting up with bullcrap. They must like it, otherwise they would have gotten rid of the government if they had the guts.

Tell that to the guy who got run over by a tank
Advertisement
There are exceptions. It takes a united effort to overthrow a government.
There are some things so stupid that only an intellect could believe them.
Quote:Original post by kSquared
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Yeah, and people under 21 in the US are not allowed to drink a beer or a glass of wine. How is that better?

I don't think that analogy is valid. If you play some Super Mario 64 for four hours straight and then get behind the wheel of a car, your reaction time is not going to be impaired. Compare this with drinking for four hours and then getting behind the wheel of car, where you will almost certainly endanger yourself, to say nothing of the hundreds of other people you will encounter on a road.

So that danger magically disappears at 18/21 ? Having a legal age for drinking IS dumb, partly because it can't be enforced and partly because it serves no purpose.

Slightly OT: I'd also like to see some numbers pertaining to the age of people pulled for driving under the influence of alcohol. I'm pretty sure > 30 years old do it more often.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Quote:Original post by xMcBaiNx
Having a legal age for drinking IS dumb, partly because it can't be enforced and partly because it serves no purpose.

No it isn't. If there was no legal age, people who drink at a very young age and damage their bodies during prime growth time.

The legal age also serves as a life knowledge marker. By the time you're 21, you have learned more about life than you had at a younger age. You are better able to decide what is really right for you.

Granted, some people don't care and just do it anyway. I know people who drank before 21. By 21, they realized drinking is stupid and don't do it anymore.
Quote:Original post by Maega
Having a legal age for drinking IS dumb, partly because it can't be enforced and partly because it serves no purpose.

No it isn't. If there was no legal age, people who drink at a very young age and damage their bodies during prime growth time.

The legal age also serves as a life knowledge marker. By the time you're 21, you have learned more about life than you had at a younger age. You are better able to decide what is really right for you.

Granted, some people don't care and just do it anyway. I know people who drank before 21. By 21, they realized drinking is stupid and don't do it anymore.

I've been drinking since I was about 13. I don't believe drinking is stupid anymore than I believe it is smart. Drinking is something we do, just like playing cards. Of course, you could make a point that playing card is also stupid, but some people enjoy it and should be able to.

How the hell would young children "damage their body" by drinking alcohol moderately ? Of course, abusing it can be bad, but then again, go an abuse fast food; it will have much worse effects on your body than drinking would.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style

Define "very young age". Here in France, it's perfectly normal to have your 10 year old son drink some wine during dinner. Legal drinking age for beer is 16 in most EU countries, and often much lower if you have parental consent. And no signs of an excessive amount of "damaged bodies" so far, at least not for the last 1000 years...

Of course, excessive drinking is bad for you, and it's certainly worse if you're younger. So I agree with a legal drinking age on hard alcohol.

In the US, it is widely considered a bad thing to show nudity to minors (mainly because of religious reasons). I completely disagree with that, but it's not my job to judge this. If the American people like to think this way, well, it's their right to do so.

Now, China apparently came to the conclusion, that violent video games are bad for people under 18. So be it. Whether this conclusion matches our way to see the world or not is completely irrelevant. It's not our job to judge this.

It's all about the culture framework, folks.
Quote:Original post by Yann L

Define "very young age". Here in France, it's perfectly normal to have your 10 year old son drink some wine during dinner. Legal drinking age for beer is 16 in most EU countries. And no signs of an excessive amount of "damaged bodies" so far, at least not for the last 1000 years...

Of course, excessive drinking is bad for you, and it's certainly worse if you're younger. So I agree with a legal drinking age on hard alcohol.

In the US, it is widely considered a bad thing to show nudity to minors (mainly because of religious reasons). I completely disagree with that, but it's not my job to judge this. If the American people like to think this way, well, it's their right to do so.

Now, China apparently came to the conclusion, that violent video games are bad for people under 18. So be it. Whether this conclusion matches our way to see the world or not is completely irrelevant. It's not our job to judge this.

It's all about the culture framework, folks.

Winner.
Winner.

Seconded :)
In most of the free countries except for the US, underage drinking is not criminalized. Sure, in some countries you can't buy alcohol if you are under a certain age, but if a cop sees you drinking while you are underage won't arrest you. Maybe he will confiscate your drink and tell you to go home, or something like that.

I've been drinking (my father gave me to drink) since I was 12 or so, and I very rarely abused the alcohol, and only at some parties, but never by myself. And I don't think my fragile mind was damaged.
I also exposed myself to pr0n when I was 16 or so (at that time the Internet was not so common) and I didn't become fucked up because of that (even though some people think I am :D ).

So first look in your backyard, and then into someone's else backyard.

KSquared: If you don't trust the kids not to drink and drive, why the hell would you trust them to drive in the first place?
Yeah, and people under 21 in the US are not allowed to drink a beer or a glass of wine. How is that better?

I don't think that analogy is valid. If you play some Super Mario 64 for four hours straight and then get behind the wheel of a car, your reaction time is not going to be impaired. Compare this with drinking for four hours and then getting behind the wheel of car, where you will almost certainly endanger yourself, to say nothing of the hundreds of other people you will encounter on a road.

So that danger magically disappears at 18/21 ? Having a legal age for drinking IS dumb, partly because it can't be enforced and partly because it serves no purpose.

I think you're misinterpreting what I said. The point is that video games can't kill people; alcohol can. Surely rational people will agree that killing someone in a simulated environment is not anywhere near the same thing as murdering a person in cold blood. There is absolutely no reason to have an age limit on this sort of thing.

Quote:Slightly OT: I'd also like to see some numbers pertaining to the age of people pulled for driving under the influence of alcohol. I'm pretty sure > 30 years old do it more often.

This study disagrees with your assessment. From DUI: Demographics and Drug Concentrations Indicative of Impairment, Shanitut T. Muantongchin, Evan Beard, Judy Echols, J.D., Anthony J. Macherone, M.A. and G. John Digregorio, M.D., Ph.D., Journal of the American Medical Association, (c) 2002:

Quote:Of the 686 cases submitted, 67 were determined to be not prosecutable either because only urine was submitted or no alcohol or drugs were detected in a concentration that would warrant prosecution. Of the 619 prosecutable cases, 537 (87%) were males and 82 (13%) were females. Of these, 108 males and 47 females were involved in automobile accidents (see Figure 1). The 19-24 year old age group was determined to have the highest incidence of DUI arrests with the 25 to 30 year old range being the second most common group (see Figure 2). The average age of those arrested for DUI was 33 with a range of 15 to 79 years old. Three hundred and eighty four (62%) of those arrested for DUI were found to have ethanol in the blood. The drug found in the second highest frequency was the marijuana metabolite 11-nor-Delta9-THC-COOH which was detected in 32% of the perpetrators. In 21% of the cases, the primary cocaine metabolite, benzoylecgonine was the third most common substance found (see Figure 3). Cocaine was determined to be the most common drug co-administered with ethanol. Morphine / codeine follows with nordiazepam and marijuana appearing as the third and fourth most common, respectively (see Figure 4). It was determined from the data that most often the individual arrested for DUI was under the influence of a single substance, ethanol being the substance of choice, although a significant number of individuals were found to have two or more substances in their system at the time of arrest (see Figure 5).
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}

what does that have to do with age restrictions?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement