China bans under 18 from PKing

Started by
38 comments, last by Richy2k 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Quote:Original post by Yann L
[...]About the ban, well, each country and society has their own values. Hot coffee anyone ?
Can you explain how 'rating organization increased the suggested age requirement for a game by a single year for hidden sexual content' is comparable to 'government banned competitive play in many genres for those under 18 years old'?

naming it a 'rating orginazation' doesnt make it any less far reaching: the effect is the same. some americans feel pron (or rather the slightest hint of it) is inapropriate under 18. some chinese think spending a large fraction of your waking time simulating killing other people is inapropriate under 18. i agree with neither, but if i was forced to cheer for one itd be china. it is FAR less draconian in my book.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Eelco
Quote:Original post by kSquared
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Yeah, and people under 21 in the US are not allowed to drink a beer or a glass of wine. How is that better?

I don't think that analogy is valid. If you play some Super Mario 64 for four hours straight and then get behind the wheel of a car, your reaction time is not going to be impaired. Compare this with drinking for four hours and then getting behind the wheel of car, where you will almost certainly endanger yourself, to say nothing of the hundreds of other people you will encounter on a road.

what does that have to do with age restrictions?

Alcohol is a mind-altering chemical with significant physiological effects that impair judgment. Video games aren't anywhere close. Yet China proposes to regulate video games the same way as alcohol. Doesn't that strike you as a little bit of an odd equivalence? Or do you agree with China's position?
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Yeah, and people under 21 in the US are not allowed to drink a beer or a glass of wine. How is that better?

I don't think that analogy is valid. If you play some Super Mario 64 for four hours straight and then get behind the wheel of a car, your reaction time is not going to be impaired. Compare this with drinking for four hours and then getting behind the wheel of car, where you will almost certainly endanger yourself, to say nothing of the hundreds of other people you will encounter on a road.

Alcohol is a mind-altering chemical with significant physiological effects that impair judgment. Video games aren't anywhere close. Yet China proposes to regulate video games the same way as alcohol. Doesn't that strike you as a little bit of an odd equivalence? Or do you agree with China's position?

to elaborate, why allow adult people, who already need to carry much more responsibilities - are often entrusted with the responsiblity for the life of others, to ingest 'mind-altering chemicals with significant physiological effects'?

maybe we should only let people drink alcohol only BEFORE 18, then disallow it once they get children or a car?

its a retarded law, and many other western countrys have shown it to be pointless through demostration, the bullshit about pron even moreso. this china thing fits in the same list like it was created for it. but hey if thats what they think makes them feel good thats what they should do, both chinese and americans.

so to answer your last (redundant) question: no.
[...]naming it a 'rating orginazation' doesnt make it any less far reaching[...]
Actually it does, because the rating organization makes suggestions, while the government makes laws. The fact that the rating organization says you should be 18 to play the game doesn't mean you can't buy the game if you're under 18 and it doesn't mean you'll suffer any repercussions if you're caught playing a game rated for one older than yourself.

On the other hand, laws gnerally have some form of associated punisment that is enforced by the government.

[...]its a retarded law, and many other western countrys have shown it to be pointless through demostration[...]
Can you give an example of a country with a culture similar to the culture of the US that has demonstrated alcohol restrictions are 'retarded law'?

"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:
[...]its a retarded law, and many other western countrys have shown it to be pointless through demostration[...]
Can you give an example of a country with a culture similar to the culture of the US that has demonstrated alcohol restrictions are 'retarded law'?

The USA. Between 1919 and 1933 alcohol was illegal in the United States. This prohibition caused an explosion in crime as gangsters rushed to fill the demand for alcohol.. Why would there be such an "explosion" if the culture stopped drinking and thought the laws were swell?

Domine non secundum peccata nostra facias nobis
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
[...]naming it a 'rating orginazation' doesnt make it any less far reaching[...]
Actually it does, because the rating organization makes suggestions, while the government makes laws. The fact that the rating organization says you should be 18 to play the game doesn't mean you can't buy the game if you're under 18 and it doesn't mean you'll suffer any repercussions if you're caught playing a game rated for one older than yourself.

On the other hand, laws gnerally have some form of associated punisment that is enforced by the government.

to my understanding, most stores wont sell 18+ rated games. the effect of giving a game such a rating or banning it is largely the same.

im crious: does the same apply to pron? can a pronstore also sell to everyone regardles of age then? that would be consistent with the videogames, but i dont see how it stacks up against the alcohol thing..
Quote:Original post by python_regious
Am I the only one that thought this was about banning all under eighteens from Peking? Aka Bejing?!

No, you're not. :)

Uhm.. your country has a major problem with showing breasts, even if the nipple is covered.

Let's not throw rocks so quickly, shall we?
Does this also count for PKing in MMORPG's?
Quote:Original post by python_regious
Am I the only one that thought this was about banning all under eighteens from Peking? Aka Bejing?!

No you aren't the only one.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement