🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Jerk on the internet

Started by
224 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years, 6 months ago
Oh, and one other point. I'd be willing to bet that your opponent in checkers would be pissed at you, even if he wasn't "taking the game too seriously". Even if he were just playing it for fun. Sure, he'd be more pissed if there were money riding on it or something, but the fact that he's investing 15-20 minutes of his time generally would indicate that he wants to derive _some_ fun from it, and expects that fun to come from the strategy behind the game. So it isn't a matter of taking things too seriously, either.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Sneftel

Quote: Original post by Vanke
Just so you know i'm not a stupid child haven't been one for a bit, also your comparing an FPS to paintball to me doesn't matter at all simply because to me the fact that one is played in real life and one is on a computer, to me the two do not hold equal weight at all, I also believe they never should.

Hold up, what? Why does this matter one little bit?

It matters because it's the way I view video games, as do a lot of other people as well.

The point is that by being a lamer you are marginally increasing your own fun while sharply decreasing the fun of everything else.

And the "paintballs have value" argument is simply equivocation. What if you were playing checkers with someone, and halfway through you swept all the pieces off the board back into the box?[/qoute]

I would do the same thing everytime this has ever happened to me, I chuckle and laugh that the other person became so frustrated that they couldn't finish the game.

Quote: The reason that's not okay isn't because it's "the real world", it's because it screws the game up for the other player(s). I cannot believe that you don't understand this simple concept.

I understand very well you view the video game as more then it is you put more or equal weight towards this virtual world as you do the real world. I don't I see it as what it is a virtual world where you are constrained by certain rules, you can follow the pattern of play that is designated by the creators of this virtual world or you can follow your own pattern of play. I was following my own pattern of play.

[Edited by - Vanke on November 18, 2005 12:28:16 PM]
...if I was to step on all of your paintballs I would be an asshole, I would feel guilty. I would have deprived you of something that has actual value in the realworl. If I shoot you as a team member in CS then you respawn two minutes later, you don't like it you leave...

Time is one of the most valuable commodities in the world. Leisure time even more so.

Enigma
I understand very well you view the video game as more then it is you put more or equal weight towards this virtual world as you do the real world. I don't I see it as what it is a virtual world where you are constrained by certain rules, you can follow the pattern of play that is designated by the creators of this virtual world or you can follow your own pattern of play. I was following my own pattern of play.

You're still not getting it. Differentiate between "game" and "simulation". TFC (what is TFC?) is a game WITHIN a simulation. The simulation is that your avatar is shooting other avatars; the game is that you're trying to accomplish whatever the goal of the game is. Everyone else? They came for the game, not the simulation. If that's not what you're there for, then you aren't supposed to be there, any more than you should be sitting in the middle of a football game playing hacky-sack.
Quote: Original post by phantom
Also I could make a comment on you saying i depreive them of a fun game for the sole sake of being an ahole, well what if that makes the game fun for me, why are your wants more important then my wants?

and why are your rights more important than those who want to play the game as it was designed to be played?

Ahh that's the real question now isn't whose rights are more important in a video game?

To me neither persons right are more important, infact i don't believe anyone has any rights in any video game world ever, unless it's specifically built into the game then it doesn't exist.

Quote:
and no, just because you can shoot your team mates it doesnt mean the game was designed to let you kill your team mates, the idea was to add some level of realism and prevent people from just going gun-hoe around the level shooting anything that moves, instead requiring them to play as a team.

Of course the game wasn't designed to be played like that who would design a game with that specific intent; however, since the abilitiy is there to do it in the game well then dammit i'm going to do it.

I guess you like to follow this theroy:

I pretty much agree with Vanke. I really enjoy watching people's reactions when I do things like that in games. TKing is just one of the things to do though. Using retarded/strange (yet possibly effective) strategies in an RTS, grabbing all the weapons and items in UT while never shooting, randomly never killing one certain person but killing everyone else in an FPS, doing some /emote out of the blue on one person every few minutes and pretending not to notice in an MMO, the list goes on.

Some of these might decrease others' fun, some might increase it. In either case, its fun and can be funny as hell [grin]
You see to me your realworld actions have different consequences then ones performed in a game, if I was to step on all of your paintballs I would be an asshole, I would feel guilty. I would have deprived you of something that has actual value in the realworl.
Funny, I was always under the impression that time is your most valuable resource.
If I shoot you as a team member in CS then you respawn two minutes later, you don't like it you leave.
No... you lose the amount of time for all the rounds that you kill someone and the amount of time it takes to find another decent server[1]. It's also very frustrating.
Can you not see how these two actions are fundamentally different?
Can you not see the similarities between them despite their differences?

[1] tlost = sum(ritri) + tswhere tlost is the total amount of time lost      ri is the ith round you killed the person in      tri is the amount of time left in the ith round after you killed the person      ts is the time it takes to find another server.

EDIT: Fixed my equation
Quote: Original post by bjle
I pretty much agree with Vanke. I really enjoy watching people's reactions when I do things like that in games. TKing is just one of the things to do though. Using retarded/strange (yet possibly effective) strategies in an RTS, grabbing all the weapons and items in UT while never shooting, randomly never killing one certain person but killing everyone else in an FPS, doing some /emote out of the blue on one person every few minutes and pretending not to notice in an MMO, the list goes on.

Some of these might decrease others' fun, some might increase it. In either case, its fun and can be funny as hell [grin]

Yes, because your entertainment is much more important than everybody elses...
Quote: Original post by Sneftel

You're still not getting it. Differentiate between "game" and "simulation". TFC (what is TFC?) is a game WITHIN a simulation. The simulation is that your avatar is shooting other avatars; the game is that you're trying to accomplish whatever the goal of the game is. Everyone else? They came for the game, not the simulation. If that's not what you're there for, then you aren't supposed to be there, any more than you should be sitting in the middle of a football game playing hacky-sack.

No no i am getting it, i get it 100 percent. Your not getting me I do not and will not ever ever ever be able to give both the real world and the virtual world equal weight ever sorry.

Also you can't really say i'm not supposed to be there I paid money for the game I have as much right as everyone else who wants to play the game according to how the game was designed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement