🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Jerk on the internet

Started by
224 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote: Original post by Vanke
You know what it is, I'm not playing this game to entertain you, i'm playing it to entertain myself. When I play a sport in reallife i'm more interested in you having fun becuase well games are more fun when everyone is having fun, video games are different, i can still have fun when other epeople aren't sometimes even more so.

No, you're trying to put that into an ethical context, when really you have no ability to do so. You said it yourself in your original post: The best anyone can do to you online is call you gay. In the real world, however, they can punish you for being a lamer. So it all comes down to a social benefit ratio of 0.

Put differently: If all you wanted to do is come here and tell us you're a jerk, fine, point made. But if you're trying to excuse yourself based on some ridiculous "real/virtual" distinction, you're going to have a rather difficult time of it.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by AndreTheGiant
My suspicion is that you like to shoot your teammates because you dont like the players that actually shoot back.

bingo!

Vanke, have you noticed that your rating is dropping?

Also, I agree with Fahrenheit and Andre, anyone who shoots his own teammates is too weak and too much of a n00b to kill the people on the other team.
Wow I'm surprised how angry some of these people are getting. Honestly I wanted to start a discussion on griefing in games not defend my point of view on the subject. I know that a lot of people don't get my point of view on this subject especially in this forum where obviously a lot of people love video games and love to play them.

Honestly I used to hold the point of view that videogames are equivalent in value to real life, however, I've recently changed my pov. To me videogames are all about having fun, anyway you want. I personally only play single player games now except on consoles when i'm face to face with another person. I haven't tked in five years and probably won't ever again.

In fact nowadays I spend more time diseccting the play mechanics of a game then actually playing it, nothing is more fun right now then getting together with my coder friends and discussing the mechanics of game play and the philosphy behind making games.
Quote: Original post by Oberon_Command

Yeah I was surprised at that as well I'm simply defending my point of view but I guess that griefing to some people is such an emotinoally charged subject that they think i'm being an asshole in some way. I guess there are some consequences to my tking after all.

That is unfair though, because it's based on his beliefs and not how he presents them. I hate the griefer type player as much as anybody but I wouldn't rate him down based on that.
[...]Well that's cool for you but to be honest I just don't care my time is infinitly more valuable to me then your time is and you will say the same to me. I dont' really care about how you spend your time if it's spent wisely or not, that's up to you not me. If I affect how you spend your time that's your problem to fix not mine.
Why don't you just say you're a completely selfish jerk and stop trying to justify your actions? The sole reason you feel you can act the way you do is the lack of consequences, and the reason you choose to act the way you do is some kind of mental complex. No need to pretend that your actions are ethically valid.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote: Original post by Fahrenheit451
Quote: Original post by AndreTheGiant
My suspicion is that you like to shoot your teammates because you dont like the players that actually shoot back.

bingo!

Actually no, I enjoyed it because I like making them annoyed. Anyways I've never tked before without getting killed by my own team so your statement is to me invalid.
Wow I'm surprised how angry some of these people are getting. Honestly I wanted to start a discussion on griefing in games not defend my point of view on the subject. I know that a lot of people don't get my point of view on this subject especially in this forum where obviously a lot of people love video games and love to play them.

I don't see anyone getting angry here. I see people making valid and reasonable points, rather than the simple "no ur a n00b" and "ya tking is da bomb" responses that I assume you were expecting. If you wanted a discussion on the causes of griefing, you'd approach it that way, as opposed to defending your point of view in your original post and later.

Quote: I personally only play single player games now except on consoles when i'm face to face with another person. I haven't tked in five years and probably won't ever again.

....aaand the backpedaling. Tell me, do you ever unplug the console in the middle of playing face to face against another person? How far away from you do they have to be to "not matter"... different city, or just out of punching range?
Quote: Original post by acraig

That is unfair though, because it's based on his beliefs and not how he presents them. I hate the griefer type player as much as anybody but I wouldn't rate him down based on that.

Why should he care? After all it's Cyberspace, not Meatspace.
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement