Original Post
So making an online game. I've created a launcher/updater program that does the auto updating of game files.
My next question is about making sure the client has the most recent updated and/or not tampered with files before they play. I have an idea on this but curious about what others think.
My idea is after the client logs in, hash codes of each major file is sent to the server in one message. The server will then check these against a table of hash/filenames of the most recent update. Does that seem good enough? I suppose I should send these encrypted as well. Any other ideas around this that I haven't thought of? I'm sure there are some.
My next question is about making sure the client has the most recent updated and/or not tampered with files before they play. I have an idea on this but curious about what others think.
My idea is after the client logs in, hash codes of each major file is sent to the server in one message. The server will then check these against a table of hash/filenames of the most recent update. Does that seem good enough? I suppose I should send these encrypted as well. Any other ideas around this that I haven't thought of? I'm sure there are some.