The Fire of Ardor - Dungeon Challenge

Started by
3 comments, last by cpfr 5 years, 2 months ago

Hi,

this is my submission for the challenge. Bad news first: The game is currently only playable on Linux - until I won the fight against Mingw32 and Python under Windows.

Story

The game takes place in a world which is infested by the curse of the daemon lord Ardor. Burning like a fire and spreading like a plague, the curse causes people to become greedy and grudging, some of them even turn into bloodthirsty monsters. By reaching out to reign supreme, the fire of Ardor burns its way into our world. The player is a nameless warrior who crested the silver mountain in order to enter Ardor's world and defeat him. To open the dimension gate, the player has to defeat a dungeon and obtain the soul stone that is hidden inside. During the game you won't confront the daemon himself, but obtain the soul stone from the dungeon and bring it to the wizard Randuras, the last resident of the doomed town at the top of the mountain.

Engine

The game uses a raycasting rendering engine, written by me, which is uses SDL2 for windowing, sound playback and texture loading. The rest is a lot of vector geometry and digging pixels.

Gameplay

The game is played in the first person perspective. You have a sword as a melee weapon and can cast fireball spells for far-ranged combat. There are three different enemy kinds: rats, black rats and ghosts. The enemies will chase you until you either kill them or they lose your trace. Rats and black rats drop meat. Ghosts don't drop items.

Items:

• Health potion
  • Mana potion
  • Meat
  • Mushroom
  • 3 different keys
  • Soul stone

Additional Item: Gold (can be used to buy potions from the wizard)

Audio

Each scene has its own music track (CC0 - licensed tracks from opengameart.org).

Each action in the game produces a sound (sword fighting, spell casting, enemies notice you, item pickup and consumption, etc...)

GameDev.Net Reference / EasterEgg

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshots

large.screenshot01.png.9d7c518c7c6f6cb32

large.screenshot02.png.24ec2e98b9fad5a02

large.screenshot03.png.dbc76c44b2ef9b338

large.screenshot04.png.271be2b510f763372

large.screenshot05.png.a97a76fb38fc96b5f

large.screenshot06.png.f931e428696dc3e0b

Youtube Video

Project Page / Download

The download link can be found on the GameDev.net project page (currently only Linux 64 bit, Windows build will follow)

Post-Mortem

Advertisement

Looks fantastic from the video, awesome effort, you've made the best part of a lot of games from the late 90s in such a short time!! :) Can't wait to try it.

That looks awesome! I'd love to play it.

Thanks, nice to hear that. I finally managed to get the Windows build working  ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement