Setting up a small indie team in East Europe?

Started by
3 comments, last by bubbleout 5 years, 2 months ago

Hi, Im wondering if anyone has advice for setting up a small indie team in East Europe.
Right now Im looking for an artist to work with closely, and grow from there (later, I wil add more roles as the project needs).
Needless to say, I have very severe budget restraints and big dreams.

I am considering Poland, Lithuania and Romania, and neighbouring countries. I think the climate would suit me well. I visited Poland and it loved the scenery and culture.

I would love to know if there are any pointers from people from these countries, or nearby, or those who have experience moving there.

Thanks!
J

Advertisement

Cluj-Napoca is the major technology hub in Romania so most likely the best place to start IF you choose Romania. However, why would you? In fact, why would you choose to start a company in any country other than your own? It's less costly to set up an online working environment. It's also easier to find capable, talented people willing to work with you when you don't have a geographical restrain. For an indie team i think it's the best way to go about it.

Thanks for the reply Bubbleout.

I'm not currently in my home country, and I have no base in my home country. So right now it would actually be more expensive (UK). Finding somewhere with low living expenses is something I want to prioritise.

As for collaborating online, I have tried that route with some success, but it is a lot more work trying to communicate clearly that way, and leads to more misunderstandings. I would much rather build a close core team in person right now. I have given this a lot of thought.

Regarding Cluj-Napoca/Romania, do you have any other tips or caveats? Have you worked there? Do you know if Romania has art talent?

24 minutes ago, Poltroon said:

As for collaborating online, I have tried that route with some success, but it is a lot more work trying to communicate clearly that way, and leads to more misunderstandings.

It is harder but not impossibly hard. Yes, you need proper channels and written communication has to be that much clearer but it's not that different than working with a client that you can't meet in person with. It can be done effectively and it only requires strong team management and leadership.

24 minutes ago, Poltroon said:

Regarding Cluj-Napoca/Romania, do you have any other tips or caveats? Have you worked there? Do you know if Romania has art talent?

There's talent. Like anywhere else in the world there's strong talent among amateur artists and there's strong talent among professional artists. You just need to find the hobbyists willing to work on a startup since i doubt you'll be able to offer a competitive salary to a professional artist. Romania's surprisingly affordable in terms of rent and food although i'm sure you can find countries with a much lower corporate tax and similar or more affordable living costs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement