Localization academic project

Started by
2 comments, last by kkwiatko 5 years ago
Dear Developers,

My name is Kevin Kwiatkowski and I am 22 years old. I am studying translation at Brussels University in Belgium. Next year, as a part of my master's studies, I’ll be writing my thesis. My university department gives me the opportunity to make a localisation of a video game as a dissertation. As I aspire to localise video games in the future, I would like to seize this opportunity and to localise a video game into French.

I'm looking for someone who would be interested in collaborating with me on this project. The game should have text parts and interface parts to be translated and my translation would preferably appear in the final game version.

If you wish to help the localization sector to progress don’t hesitate to contact me, my teacher and I would be very happy to work with game developers.

I can assure you, this work will serve an academic purpose and will be totally free and won’t be used for any personal or illegal purpose.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Kwiatkowski Kevin
Advertisement

Sorry, but this is largely a solved problem right?

I mean, many games support multiple languages today. There are systems for expressing plural forms and gender etc in a translation. There exist web sites where you can enter a translation and it gets dropped into the game with the next build.

A big one is gettext, byt GNU. I also know OpenTTD, which supports over 50 languages which also supports eg right-to-left languages.

I agree with you. Today, all big games are internationalized and can support multiple languages but what I’m asking for is a small indie game dev who would like to have his game to be translated for academic purpose. All of this to train future localizer because even if the video game industry has known a big development, it is still very closed to newcomers in this sector. And aspiring localizers like me have to learn something they can’t even practice. How can we learn to localize a game when we are not given the opportunity to translate any game during our studies? This sometimes result in poor quality translations (or even worse, machine translations) of games which can lead to a bad gaming experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement