Did I really remake Minecraft?

Started by
53 comments, last by Prinz Eugn 4 years, 9 months ago

You don't get it. It doesn't matter what the reality is, what matters is what people think. And if people think "it looks like a Minecraft clone" (and apparently they do), then you have a "it looks like a Minecraft clone" problem. Stop trying to defend your game from what people think and instead try to make people think something else.

This is a difficult task, because "block-based game" automatically makes people think of Minecraft. Minecraft is extremely popular, and there are almost no similar games (at least there weren't many before Minecraft). So you have to focus on things that are different, and avoid talking about things that are the same. And I'm not talking about "smaller blocks", I'm talking about things that people wouldn't connect with Minecraft. For example, the fact that you have multiple planets, and how you travel between them. Focus on that, and make sure your description is as different as possible from Minecrafts' Nether/End realms. Or your story and quests, that seems interesting. But make sure to expand on it, don't make people guess if "quests" is a simple Minecraft mod or something more complex. It's all about presentation, and you are in a position where you need to present your game as "not Minecraft"

Advertisement

I know... kind of. I just don't know how. How do I make people think it's not Minecraft if they spend 1 second on the website and don't read the texts? At least that is what appears to be happening. There is a trailer that shows the quests and people still think it's a Minecraft mod. There is a f***ing spaceship as the first image and people think it's Minecraft even though there are no spaceships in Minecraft. The second image is of the playable species, all of them very different from Minecraft characters that are made out of just 6 cuboids. The third image is a mushroom forest that looks more like the Zangarmarsh from WoW than Minecraft - surely my game is a Minecraft clone.

I'm out of ideas, what am I supposed to do? I already changed so much, what did I miss?

And even if I convince them it's not vanilla Minecraft they say it is a Minecraft modpack. Because there is a Minecraft mod for everything. Even though you have to use 10 different versions of Minecraft to play those mods. And you often spend hours until everything kind of works.

For example, the fact that you have multiple planets, and how you travel between them.

I want to quote this again because this is important.

When I click on learn more, there is not enough detail. I'd like to see a wiki-like level of detail about professions and how completing procedural quests advances the story and develops the character.

There is a f***ing spaceship as the first image and people think it's Minecraft even though there are no spaceships in Minecraft.

This is not a true statement. Spaceships were built in Minecraft before you even began copying it (whoops, Freudian slip there). Answer the question about how are your spaceships functionally different than a static spaceship in Minecraft. Can your ships fly (I hope so since you are trying to make such a point)?

There is a trailer that shows the quests and people still think it's a Minecraft mod.

Your point here seems to be that Minecraft mods don't have quests. That is incorrect. A prospective player wants to hear about quests as I mentioned above. Your quests are all probably fetch quests (go to point B do X then return to point A). If this is not true, then expound.

Make sure the player does not have to do the same quest twice. "Go to point B to kill X." To me, it doesn't matter what X is; it's still the same quest. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim has a lot of this and is successful, albeit it's not my preference.

The draw distance in the video is too low. Super far objects (you don't seem to have any of these at the moment) need to be billboarded. Can you cover the ground in grass close-up so that a forest seems more dense?

I would definitely focus on how it's different from Minecraft, but don't ignore the elephant in the room, by which I mean don't pretend Minecraft doesn't exist. Minecraft players are a substantial part of your potential market, so it might even be useful to make the connection yourself in the marketing material, but frame it as "Tired of boring Minecraft rip-offs and/or Minecraft and/or Minecraft Mods? Here's a block-based game with a difference..." and then get into the quests for people who like RPG mechanics, smaller blocks for people who like building, and the multiple planets/dimensions thing for people who like exploration, and so on. I think pretending your game is somehow not at all inspired by Minecraft/ other block-based games will look really disingenuous and just make it feel more like a rip-off.

Just generally I think you need to take a step back and understand that we haven't been playing your game for months or years like you have, basically all we have are these text descriptions and screenshots. We have very little context other than what you give us, and random people just glancing at your website will have even less. As the developer you're too deep into the game to easily understand what people are missing, so you could even try to grab someone in real life to see what they find interesting when playing your game, and use that to update your marketing material.

An example of this lack of context: you know the spaceship is a functional flying vehicle, but it looks like a pretty average creative build in Minecraft. Keep in mind that you would already have to know the game to realize that in that screenshot is a functional planet to explore (right?). Yes people can read the text, but they won't if the visuals don't catch their eye. You need to hook them immediately - surface-level appearances really matter here.

As an aside, the visuals could still use some tweaking, for example the Terra sky is too green/cyan instead of blue. Here is a quick change to the sky color, along with making everything a little more blue (especially dark colors):screenshot with changed sky color

You might not be in a position to hire an artist again, but I think you could do some stuff on your own to make the world a little less cartoony/Minecrafty. I would look at Minecraft resource packs for inspiration, you don't have to re-invent the wheel here.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement