Should a Indie Dev with no Budget partner with a Publisher?

Started by
2 comments, last by TheIndieteurGuy 4 years, 8 months ago

Hi, I'm still new to this forum. Hopefully, I've posted this in the right section. Anyways, I was just wonderingm should an Indie Developer with no or close to none budget partner with a Game Publisher? Are the chances of being successful higher than if you publish your game on your own and market the game with no budget?

Coz here's the thing, I've made games before but never marketed them or pitched them to publishers so I never made any profit from them, may it be monetary or reputation. Now, for my next game, I want to maximize my chances and I want it to be decently successful at least. My plan is to partner with publisher so that they can take care of the marketing side of things because I'm not good at it. (That's their job, right? Or am I mistaken?)

Also, a bit off-topic, does Networking (befriending people from the Industry) help bolster your chances of being a successful Indie Dev or is it a waste of time?

Advertisement
5 hours ago, TheIndieteurGuy said:

My plan is to partner with publisher so that they can take care of the marketing side of things because I'm not good at it. (That's their job, right? Or am I mistaken?)

That's their job. They have money and you don't, that's the way things are at the beginning of the relationship, but if the publisher does things right, you both get money.

5 hours ago, TheIndieteurGuy said:

a bit off-topic, does Networking (befriending people from the Industry) help bolster your chances of being a successful Indie Dev or is it a waste of time?

Networking is not just "befriending people." It's making acquaintances who can benefit one another. Not every contact you make is going to benefit you, and maybe you won't make a contact that turns everything around for you, but networking is most definitely not a waste of time.

And yes, off-topic. Best to start different threads when you have different questions.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

On 9/1/2019 at 10:07 PM, Tom Sloper said:

That's their job. They have money and you don't, that's the way things are at the beginning of the relationship, but if the publisher does things right, you both get money.

Networking is not just "befriending people." It's making acquaintances who can benefit one another. Not every contact you make is going to benefit you, and maybe you won't make a contact that turns everything around for you, but networking is most definitely not a waste of time.

And yes, off-topic. Best to start different threads when you have different questions.

Thanks for the answer! And, yes I'll keep in mind that I should start have separate threads for different questions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement