Captain Quake

Started by
4 comments, last by SuperVGA 2 years, 8 months ago

This is a little project mixing Claw, Quake 2 and Metal Slug games. It was supposed to be quickly finished in summer 2019 and has been sitting on my drive for 2 years. It is a very short demo, but it is running on my own Broken Mug Engine written in C++ and using SDL 2, OpenGL, Box2D, FMOD and some other libraries.

The idea was to test how fast I can prototype a simple game in my game engine and to spark my interest in this hobby again, unfortunately it didn't end as planned and I am releasing it as-is and unfinished 2 years later. All maps, characters, animations and particle effects are made using the built-in editor and everything is highly customizable using external XML files.

You can download the playable demo from the links in the video description and look around if you wish. Don't expect anything more than you see in the video.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the textures and sounds I borrowed from other games. This is just a hobby project, not commercial.

Advertisement

@fleabay You might be interested in OpenClaw then: https://github.com/pjasicek/OpenClaw

@antonior

That is such a cool mix of the universes. I'm a big Abuse fan myself, but also played Claw quite a lot.
I guess this combination gives a similar atmosphere and steering as Abuse.

fleabay said:
Thanks for the info but I do not look at GPL code.

? Why not?

@SuperVGA Thanks. If you look at the textures you will actually find Abuse checkpoint texture there, but I did not implement checkpoints, because I did not finish the level.

Back in 2012 I made a different Quake 2D game and everybody was also comparing it to Abuse, but I have not played that game before then. Later I found Xenoveritas Abuse SDL port and messed around with the code and made a few updates to it. I first played Abuse in 2016.

If you want to see something great, look at this Abuse Remake attempt. It looks incredible. Unfortunately the guy did not continue working on it.

AntonioR said:
@SuperVGA Thanks. If you look at the textures you will actually find Abuse checkpoint texture there, but I did not implement checkpoints, because I did not finish the level. Back in 2012 I made a different Quake 2D game and everybody was also comparing it to Abuse, but I have not played that game before then. Later I found Xenoveritas Abuse SDL port and messed around with the code and made a few updates to it. I first played Abuse in 2016. If you want to see something great, look at this Abuse Remake attempt. It looks incredible. Unfortunately the guy did not continue working on it.

Hehe, well they do have some familiarities.

That unfinished SDL port looks so cool - I hope he eventually revives it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement