Help! I'm looking to start developing a 3d open world simulation type thing.

Started by
21 comments, last by Geri 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Geri said:
Its their fault. https://www.pcgamer.com/students-dont-know-what-files-and-folders-are-professors-say/

That article is so true! I realized it only belatedly that my students needed to be taught about folders and paths.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

@geri wow… I am so sorry for your horrid experience with gen z… but I'm assuming you mean the younger ones? Because, oldest gen z is almost 30, but the youngest are barely turning 9 - 11. I've even seen it claimed that babies being born now are gen z too. In my experience, it was the older people in my life who didn't know about files and folders. My class had to teach ourselves everything regarding technology while teachers were the ones yelling at the screen and expecting it to do as they say. Our tech department was constantly called in because the teacher hadn't turned the computer on and was upset that it was a black screen. They completely thought it was broken. But then again, my parents are both generation x, and they work in video game development and IT, so clearly it wasn't everyone who was older than me. I don't think you should hold a grudge against a whole generation because of a couple bad experiences and articles. I could almost feel you getting yourself angrier as you typed your replies lol. And I'm sure you're pleased to know that I'm not expecting this to be easy, breezy, beautiful. I'm fully willing to learn everything from scratch… again. I hope some new good experiences can outweigh the bad in your life…

P.S. sorry for typos / grammatical errors. I don't have my glasses on, but I tried.

TyMaxwell27 said:
I don't think you should hold a grudge against a whole generation

I don't hold grudge against any generation, i could tell interesting stories about gen Y as well in the early 2000s. They were giant demotivators: hahaha you will never achieve anything, why you even bother, you will never even spin a triangle, you will never do a format loader, etc etc. But they had a good objection to behave like this: lack of information, online search as we know it now wasnt a thing yet, even setting up a compiler was a rocket science. Now, multiple weeks of suffering can be avoided with a 10 second google search. Now you dont need enormous efforts to get the required knowledge. Of course if gen z fails to pick up the line, thats also the fault of the previous gens, as they failed to educate them effectively. The time has come for them to pick up the it world. Y, X and boomers will not get younger.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement