Reading ray tracing result to the CPU and back onto the GPU in order to do image denoising

Started by
109 comments, last by JoeJ 3 months ago

Fixed the bug. It was regarding the way I was handling miss rays (e.g. rays that hit the sky).

Advertisement
if (v >= vertexID.size()) vertexID.resize(v, -1);
vertexID[v] = vID;

Spot my sloppy bug.

This happens once your motivation gets so low, you code while playing guitar in one hand and posting AI paranoia with the other. : )

After fixing it, my issue count goes down from 12 to 1, and it's an unrelated issue which should be easy to fix.
Seems i'm indeed close…

@joej dont be so paranoid about ai. Look at it this way. If it takes job of everyone, who is going to pay for it?

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Vilem Otte said:
If it takes job of everyone, who is going to pay for it?

If you have some drug addiction, you will always find some way to pay for it. Til you die at least.

Now, in modern times almost everybody has content addiction. Thus i assume people will still pay full price for AI generated content, even if they do not really like it initially. Which will kill all creative industries.

Because only large tech companies can afford to build large AI models, it will accelerate the gap between rich and poor along the way, accelerating the global collapse of economy.

We hear already now about lots of young woman in China preferring AI boyfriends over real men. AI is nicer, and they lack the time and nerves to have real relationships, they say.
That's really a bold sign of collapsing society as well. Today, not tomorrow. And it has just started.

All i can do to lower my paranoia is to arrive at the conclusion: It will solve the overpopulation problem. Maybe a bit too quickly, but that's something.

I'm not primarily worried about people loosing jobs. That's just an actual example to point out there is a problem.
I am worried about this: If there is another species among us, much smarter than us, more efficient, and not capped by a finite lifetime, then we become like animals. We will feel like animals, but smart enough to realize our inferiority. No need for WW3 - it will feel better to extinct at this point.

Some will try to escape this fate by fleeing into transhumanism. They will extend their intelligence and lifetime by merging with tech. Who? The rich CEOs ofc., who can afford, and start this movement right now. They hate humanity anyway, because they were bullied by the football player from their class who got the girl, while they did not. They don't want a better future. They want revenge. And if we take their bait, they will get it.
But they won't succeed in the long run. They become obsolete themselves, unable to control, compete, or complement the new species. So they'll vanish shortly after us.

Hehehe, no bad, eh?
It's just a Sci Fi story i'm making up for my game.
However, the problem is: All those bad Sci Fi stories become real.

We need a movement of resistance to preserve humanity.

If i can release one more game, it will have a sticker on it, saying ‘AI off’.
This will be my contribution about doing the right thing in the wrong time.
Ideally there will be a minority of people who still value such content. A group of survivors. True humans.

Join the fight!
Or enter prompts to ChagGPT, becoming a bot your self :D
(I'm joking ofc. We need some experts in our team, who know the enemy.)

Hmm. The bug is undead, it is alive!!! It only happens when the sphere is transparent.

Can't stop thinking about bounding boxes, and if so it could be a driver bug.

Too bad you can't move the sphere individually. Maybe worth to implement at this point.

Oh, do you use proper rays for transparency? They should find the intersections in closest first order, not any intersection like for shadow rays.

You can clearly see it's a box causing the issue (as there is also red reflected light clearly making visible corners and lines from those.

I can check your repo, assuming it has up to date code?

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Yep the code is up-to-date on the GitHub.

https://github.com/sjhalayka/bidirectional_path_tracer

Maybe rays at the sphere cause many path segments, and you run out of recursion limits?

JoeJ said:

Maybe rays at the sphere cause many path segments, and you run out of recursion limits?

For fun, I tried jacking these numbers up, to no avail. Thanks for the ideas though!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement