The Future of Games

Started by
35 comments, last by Senses777 22 years, 3 months ago
What does the future hold for games and gaming technology? Do you think games will ever become too realistic? What if they got so lifelike that people stopped going to work and being with their families because they just wanted to live in the games and escape real life? .sen
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Advertisement
Apparently there are people who did give up their jobs so that they could play Ultima online forever. Must have been rich people though.

I''ve heard of people selling Ultima Online characters on EBay for ridiculous amounts of money. Maybe that''s how they got rich... that or they ran out of money because they had no job and had to sell something
Just wondering... Senses, did you really make 99 posts in only... 1.5 weeks?!?! O_o

Anyway, I do not think that moment will come. There is always a difference between karting in a game, and karting in real life. Why? THE DANGER! Real bungyjumping gives people a kick because they are actually fearing the danger of falling down and dying. No game can compete with that thrill, unless the game can kill the player ^_^

-Maarten Leeuwrik
"Some people when faced with the end of a journey simply decide to begin anew I guess."
quote:Original post by Ronin_54 No game can compete with that thrill, unless the game can kill the player ^_^
Now that would make for some interesting RPG''s.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.
Lol! Then I'll be just content with being a blacksmith or animal tamer :D

-Maarten Leeuwrik
"Some people when faced with the end of a journey simply decide to begin anew I guess."

Edited by - ronin_54 on February 5, 2002 3:18:56 PM
oh, I wish i was making games in the old super-nes-playstation times....

more time goes by, the less I wanna make games. That''s why I wanna get out of college ASAP.

neways, games will be like a total fucking trip when we will master the brain & electro-chimical impulses. Then, you''ll have like the matrix -- total simulation --.

h0lly shit, just imagine.
"the sad thing about promit's sig is that it lacks intelligence, therefore artifice" - Jello di Caca"There is no flag that is large enough to hide the shame of americaca" -System of a Jello
"Lesser Pouya spotted you!"
"Lesser Pouya crap posts you for 3 points of annoyance damage."
"You cleave a Lesser Pouya in twain."
"Lesser Pouya drops a scroll of 1337 w3rdz."
"You have reached level 100!",
"You have 3497 experience points and 2 skill points."
Yes Ronin, and this is now my 101th post now, yay! =)

I used to be addicted to EverQuest and then Asheron''s call myself, but I moved on, and I find more entertainment making games now anyways. I could see myself finding another good MMORPG and playing it often (being carefull not to get addicted), but I''d rather spend my time learning how to program. Jello was right tho, when we can get virtual reality working well, it will be crazy. I have to agree that it will never replace the thrills of danger and accomplishment in reality though.
It''ll be better! imagine, feeling real pain(or close), but never dying!

ermmmm.... new forms of torture just came to my mind... looks like this VR thing is not so good after all...
"the sad thing about promit's sig is that it lacks intelligence, therefore artifice" - Jello di Caca"There is no flag that is large enough to hide the shame of americaca" -System of a Jello
Graphics are just about to become more realistic too. Computers will be able to do real time good frame rate rendering of the quality seen in things like Final Fantasy (The movie) not too far from now. Just a couple more years! Think of the advances after that, who know how good they will get. Better enjoy the outdoors before their outdated =P (JK, I love hiking, and a hiking simulation would never be the same, no matter how real). Still tho... just think...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement