HL2 Benchmark Screenshots (56K be warned) - GF2 (and R7000) shots on page 2

Started by
56 comments, last by andy-pandy 19 years, 8 months ago
Well... I guess I'll have to give credit for the walls, nice bumps, but the sharp edges on some of the geometry really ruins it for me, if everything doesn't look good it ruins the whole thing.

1. The stairs and wall edges. Oh, and that purple railing. [wow]

2. This one looks great. [smile]

3. The (wooden?) platform and the walls by the floor.

4. This one's alright as well.

5. Again, *really* sharp polygons... but nice textures

6. The water (it's water, right?) is waaay too flat, sharp floor edge.

7. Eh, alright.

I don't want to sound nitpicky here, and these are problems a lot of games have, but they should at least attempt to make the polygon edges somewhat less noticable. It kinda ruins the whole thing, even with textures like that.
Ra
Advertisement
i don't know, the textures seem to be extruded TOO much. It's almost as if Valve is saying "hey look what we can do!" But it isn't that cool. Sophisticated, yeah, but not that great looking.

The one I like is the one with the door and the HL2 logo on it, it looks nice.

BTW the lighting is kinda wack on a few of them but I guess we're all spoiled by Doom 3 by now :)
Quote:Original post by Ra
Well... I guess I'll have to give credit for the walls, nice bumps, but the sharp edges on some of the geometry really ruins it for me, if everything doesn't look good it ruins the whole thing.

1. The stairs and wall edges. Oh, and that purple railing. [wow]

2. This one looks great. [smile]

3. The (wooden?) platform and the walls by the floor.

4. This one's alright as well.

5. Again, *really* sharp polygons... but nice textures

6. The water (it's water, right?) is waaay too flat, sharp floor edge.

7. Eh, alright.

I don't want to sound nitpicky here, and these are problems a lot of games have, but they should at least attempt to make the polygon edges somewhat less noticable. It kinda ruins the whole thing, even with textures like that.

That purple railing probably happened cause i was ALT+Tabbin to take the shots, only appeared on the first run, fine on all others.

Looking back and analyzing them yeah I would agree with you about the polygon edges but running the benchmark realtime i couldn't notice any of that :) All those moving lights and bumps changing on the rocks/walls (like offset bumpmapping) and the shimmering of the water with some HDR on the light behind the water, looked sooo amazing.

thanks for the resize.

People, you have to realize, this isn't the final thing, its just a bench mark. Just to show off the engine effects, not necessarily the artistic skill of the programmers.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
People, you have to realize, this isn't the final thing, its just a bench mark.
[smile] You are exactly right - maybe you should post this over here, on the Steam forums. It's filled with people declaring that HL2 is a huge failure and that it's a terrible waste. C'mon people - it's the first night of the beta release.

Personally, I think it's great. I haven't been this excited for a game in a while.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by circlesoft
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
People, you have to realize, this isn't the final thing, its just a bench mark.
[smile] You are exactly right - maybe you should post this over here, on the Steam forums. It's filled with people declaring that HL2 is a huge failure and that it's a terrible waste. C'mon people - it's the first night of the beta release.

Personally, I think it's great. I haven't been this excited for a game in a while.

lol,

"How do I get unstuck from 10FPS"
"What graphics card do u have?"
"Intel Integrated, I though it was supposed to run at same speed as CS1.6"

lol those people are awesome :)

I wonder why anyone using an Intel card even bothers. Seriously, what's the point? You're lucky if you can get Quake 2 to run on one of those things half the time...

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

I look inside my Dell and lo-and-behold, where there's supposed to be an AGP slot there is the REMNANTS of an AGP slot. Now tell me, doesn't it COST more to take OUT an AGP slot?
I eat heart attacks
The purple railing is just part of a failsafe that's a part of Source: if there's a missing texture, a pink and black checkered texture is used in its place, which can range from a plain texture to a texture lookup in a shader of course.

Oh, and for those who are curious, yes it is the same map as the intro to the E3 2003 trailer, with a few changes (camera displays at the end are different, no G-man or headcrab...)
How did you get this HL2 Benchmark thing ?
-----------------------------"Reality is what remains even when you don't believe it's true."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement