the dark age of gaming

Started by
65 comments, last by Eelco 18 years, 11 months ago
I have a prediction. I hope i am wrong. The ps3 and xbox 360 dominate the gaming market. Noone buys any more pc gaming hardware, production falls, prices rise. Cant install operating systems on consoles. (tell me if i am wrong) Indie game development is dead. No vga out therefore everyone must buy a hdtv and play in the living room getting interupted by family etc. All fps are designed to be played with a controller. Anyone with a keyboard and mouse will rule online. Online gaming dies. Rts arnt that popular on consoles. Kids saturate the console market. Graphics become so easy to reproduce gameplay goes out the window and we get the same rehash of games every year because kids will buy them. Only when the consoles are basically a compact pc with an o/s, keyboard and mouse as standard will gaming pick up again. I feel this way because almost every game is going to be released on a console including ut2007, quake 4 and the elder scrolls 4. Also everything at e3 so far seams to be graphics orientated and very little about gameplay. I also enjoy upgrading my pc.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
Advertisement
Here's another: a staggering influx of gaming doomsday prophets invade the GameDev forums, posting elitist, large diatribes based upcoming console technology demos.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis

Oh no!!! What should we do? [/sarc]

Get a grip!

"The dark age of gaming" LOL!!!!
______________________________Yes I think the rev pad sucks/so does 50 and the DS. I like action and am not ashamed. I prefer brunettes but hate chocolate. Yes,I have opinions!!! Rate as you will.
Blah blah blah. I'm a pissed of PC gamer who refuses to embrace new technology. The fact that consoles have been the dominant market for a decade doesn't matter, its this current generation that's killing my poor baby. Cry for me.

CM
Quote:Original post by Riviera Kid

Cant install operating systems on consoles. (tell me if i am wrong)

You are wrong. Linux runs on anything.

http://www.dslinux.com/
http://www.xbox-linux.org/
http://wwwhsse.fh-hagenberg.at/Studierende/hse02006/uclgba/
Quote:Original post by Penten

i know but i heard that they are going to take measures to prevent linux from being installed.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
Quote:Original post by Penten

i know but i heard that they are going to take measures to prevent linux from being installed.

Yes well, you might need a mod chip I suppose...
The Dark ages of gaming was the early 1980's. Arcades died, and have never truly came back. The Atari 2600's coffin was nailed shut with ET, and the horrid port of Pac Man. We can blame one man for all this. Ray Kassar, one time CEO of Atari when it was owned by Warner Communications.

I don't think that this will result in a 'dark age' of gaming, but perhaps another paradigm shift.

I think that if there was a unified way for independent developers to publish their games, there could be a resurgance of basement projects. Many independant games are prety cool. The problem is that it is so hard make them visible. If there was a distribution system, then it would be easy to get independent games visible, and making money.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Indie game development is dead.
No, because there is a huge difference between a commercial title and a really original, (free) game made by a lone developer or a small team. No super-grafix can make that otherwise; but of course they are a nice side-feature. (imo)
Quote:Original post by Marmin
Indie game development is dead.
No, because there is a huge difference between a commercial title and a really original, (free) game made by a lone developer or a small team. No super-grafix can make that otherwise; but of course they are a nice side-feature. (imo)

pc gaming will die. Indie Console development will be restricted by sony and microsoft. So who is going to play it?

you certainly wont be able to download free games for the xbox360/ps3

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement